Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why go in blind? Do you know whats behind that panel? Will 6.5" fit???

Well folks, here it is. As promised with TONS of pictures of the whole install.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/495957

Round 2 will soon follow.... 1/0 gauge and 2 amps.

Stay Tuned :twisted:

NOTE: This is THE place to start to get info on a new speakers install - so use it :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
vaBooM said:
How about some feed back about how she sounds?? I'm sure it sounds better than factory, however, is it worth all the fuss?

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
WiseYoda said:
vaBooM said:
How about some feed back about how she sounds?? I'm sure it sounds better than factory, however, is it worth all the fuss?
I quickly noticed the highs were sharper and clearer. Then when I put on a track that had deep bass, the mids responded quick. Very pleased with the sound of the CDTs.

Just wait till these puppies are powered with an amp. Ooh-wee, do they kick hard.

·
Registered
28 Posts
thanks... I guess it will be "getting down and dirty" time when I get my Mazda.

vaBooM said:
Just wait till these puppies are powered with an amp. Ooh-wee, do they kick hard.
great! I'm excited. I have a $1800 or so system in my Civic right now that I want to transfer over to the Mazda. That way I won't have to spend the money at the dealer!

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I notice that the grill isn't round, but the size of the stock speakers... doest that degrade the sound at all? Could you remove those grills and replace them with new ones?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Nicely done. This was something I was looking for. I'd much rather do an install myself, than to have to pay someone else to do it! Thanks! And I'm looking forward to the next part :D

·
Registered
327 Posts
Wow, amazing, I'm sure when they are amped, they will sound even better. You don't even need a subwoofer I bet. Btw, how much did you pay for those??? I may get the same thing and do the same thing.

·
Registered
38 Posts
You rock, vaBoom. Nice pics with step-by-step descriptions. I can see this thread being stickied in the near future.

Say, how much do you save by doing the install yourself over having an audio shop do the install for you?

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I notice that the grill isn't round, but the size of the stock speakers... doest that degrade the sound at all? Could you remove those grills and replace them with new ones?
No, lower frequencies arent directional. They radiate the sound. It may block it a tad, but you wont be able to hear it.

Btw, how much did you pay for those???
$150 for the components and $50 for the coaxials @ www.thezeb.com.

Say, how much do you save by doing the install yourself over having an audio shop do the install for you?
Depends. Most installers charge $10-15 for each speaker adapter, at least $60 for the components and $20 for the coaxials. And you learn a poop load.

Hope this guide will help all.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Grest write up, very well done - look forward to the rest of it :D

·
Registered
327 Posts
I agree, it was a very good write up, I think I will do exactly the same thing with my 3s when I get it. I'm not trying to be a copy cat, but I will give you full credit completely. I'm not going to add any subs, just need a system with good bass.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
M3-GT said:
I VOTE FOR A STICKY on that thread!!!!

Great job Rich! Not that I ever doubted you :wink:
Lmao.. Hell sometimes I doubt myself :roll:

The only thing I dont plan to build myself will be the box. Ive been looking into a Snail Shell design, but I dont have the saws or routers to make it happen.

I cant wait till the sub arrives! Many of my friends are doubting it already, but Im very confident the single 15" sub will push me into the mid 140db area.

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
what about a sticky???? Evil mods? That would be helpful in the long run for people that want a good guide...and save you some work...just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
UPDATE: Jan 26th 2004.

Added the tweeter install. Excuse the delay, as the weather has kept me from taking decent pics.

·
Registered
202 Posts
so, the 3 has 5x7s or 6x8s from the factory? and what is the benefit of going with, say 6.5" components and coax's versus 5x7/6x8s, i was planning on getting infinity reference speakers, but im waiting till i know the better size to go with, and the 5x7/6x8s show a lower frequency response in comparison to the 6.5's

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
They are 6x8". But both 5x7" and 6x8" speakers will fit as they have the mounting brackets made into the speaker basket.

6.5" are for people that want mid-bass kick. It creates a fuller sound imo.

On paper, 6x8" may show a lower frequency. But it wont sound as clean as a 6.5" component set. Kicker and Infinity have a 6x8" component set but if you look around, the more expensive speakers dont even come in that configuration.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts