Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all, recently I've gotten a rotten smell coming from under the chassis, has anyone on here experienced that before? I've been told that when the catalyc converter goes bad it releases a horrible odor could this be possibly the case??

·
Registered
31,083 Posts
does it smell like rotten eggs (sulphur)? that is indeed often an indication that the CC is done for (it should only smell when the car is running)...how many miles?

·
Registered
31,083 Posts
i think that is low mileage for it to be the CAT. but the dealership or mechanic can determine that easily.
could it be the brand of gasoline? some poor quality gas may contain more sulfur although i have only "heard" this as a reason for the smell and haven't seen this myself (never had the problem, but i only use shell or chevron if given a choice)
if your car was running really rich, that would increase the likelihood of these smells, but you would normally get a CEL if that was the case.

if you can't attribute this to bad gas (or you don't think it could be the reason), you might have to take it in to find out if it's really bad.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
[quote author=Nomanchez link=topic=133871.msg2876936#msg2876936 date=1232467349]
hi all, recently I've gotten a rotten smell coming from under the chassis, has anyone on here experienced that before? I've been told that when the catalyc converter goes bad it releases a horrible odor could this be possibly the case??

[/quote]

When a catalytic converter goes out, it doesn't smell that bad.  Like Daniel said, check to see if you have a dead critter--a stowaway.

EDIT: I just read your second post. Is it possible you have something on your exhaust that is slowly burning off?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
lol maybe that's it a roadkill, haven't gotten a chance to actually look under yet...As far as cheap gas yeah could definitely be a possibility I use regular all the time, Time For Change... thanks guys

·
Registered
31,083 Posts
there is nothing wrong with regular 87 octane. just some independent stations can sell crap gas from whoever is selling it the cheapest.

·
Registered
31,083 Posts
[quote author=Mr. Speed link=topic=133871.msg2881792#msg2881792 date=1232596127]
This happens to me EVERY SINGLE TIME and ONLY when I rip on my car, it smells like rotten eggs

I can't stand it but no one knows the cause, it's kind of embarrassing and pisses me off :mad:
[/quote]

you mean when you floor it? could be running rich for a second. have they reflashed your pcm ever?

·
Registered
31,083 Posts
lol, here's mazda's tsb on the subject...which apprently applies to most all the cars from 2000...2007

that top note might be encouraging if your car is new, it isn't if you're driving a 2005.
maybe if you're just now having this, it is the winter gas, or cheap gas...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.