Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do most of you guys replace the rotors w/the pads? Mine has 28K on it and squeals like a stuck pig! Was thinking of replacing the pads...rotors look great w/no grooves. Seems like the rotors are all 200+. Or can I get away w/just replacing the pads?

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
get some hawk pads lol you should be good on stock rotors for a pretty good while still :)

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I thought but seems like most people were saying to replace the rotors w/the pads. For other cars rotors are cheap 50~60 each this car seems outrageous.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
cuz our stock setup is sick lol. at least IMO the 3's stock braking system is on par with some high end cars :)

·
Registered
425 Posts
I agree. These rotors should be good for AT LEAST two sets of pads.

I'm on my second set of front pads (I track the car) and I'm still using the stock rotors. I had a huge argument on MSF with some guy that was spouting off about how it was absolutely necessary to change the "throw-away" rotors on the MS3 whenever you changed your pads...the argument eventually fizzled out when I presented a ton of evidence to the contrary.

Here's the thread (remove spaces):

http:// w w w . m a z d a s p e e d f o r u m s . o r g/forum/mazdaspeed-3-6-suspension-brakes/18561-hawk-hps-pads-tips-breaking.html

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
I am thinking about Hawk HpPlus pads for streeet and occasional auto-x
and Hawk HT-14 Race compound pads for track sessions.

If you are swapping back and forth like that between different compounds, only then do you need to have a set of rotors for each compound.

otherwise...no need to replace rotors until its due time.

next time...go to town on it with some 80 grit

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I saw the thread on the other forum and that's why I was asking about the rotors.
Don't want to blow my budget on rotors when I want a downpipe 8)

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
[quote author=tagkat link=topic=139327.msg3005161#msg3005161 date=1237501282]
I saw the thread on the other forum and that's why I was asking about the rotors.
Don't want to blow my budget on rotors when I want a downpipe 8)
[/quote]

- I'd say scrub the rotors with 80grit
- replace pads
- bleed brake system (usually a good idea)
- re-seat the pads.

good to go.

·
Registered
757 Posts
[quote author=NoobInACan link=topic=139327.msg3005073#msg3005073 date=1237498193]
I am thinking about Hawk HpPlus pads for streeet and occasional auto-x
and Hawk HT-14 Race compound pads for track sessions.

If you are swapping back and forth like that between different compounds, only then do you need to have a set of rotors for each compound.

otherwise...no need to replace rotors until its due time.

next time...go to town on it with some 80 grit
[/quote]

HT-14s don't exist, Hawk doesn' make front race pads for the MS3

Shoot us a PM regarding the street pads.

-G

1 - 9 of 9 Posts