Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

My wife has a 2005 Mazda 3 2.3l. I got her new tires in December, and I would like to rotate them, but I am having issues getting the actual wheel/tire off the hub after I have all 5 lugs off. It is like the wheel is welded on :lol:

Any tricks to it? I don't have a rubber mallet, but I tried for 10 minutes to get the front wheel off, and it won't budge. Thanks.

·
Registered
7,672 Posts
Do you have any type of Hammer, you could wrap it up in a thick towel any try giving it a few taps that way.

Odd the front wheels are sticking, it usally is the rears that stick.

I just grab the tire portion and rock it back and forth until it's free, then tap on them with a Mallet or a Hammer wrapped up really good.

Have you tried pulling from behind ?

·
Registered
31,083 Posts
i'd sit down next to it and kick the bottom of the tire really hard (make sure the car is supported). :dunno:

·
Registered
76 Posts
A rubber mallet does wonders, I alway just use my had to knock it off. Just hit it at the very bottom on the inside of the tire.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the quick responses! I'll try the lower portion of the tire. I tried the rocking back and forth process, didn't budge. I have it supported by a jack + 2 jack stands, hopefully that is enough support.

·
Moderator of donks
32,022 Posts
The trick I've always heard is to put all five lugs back on but not completely tight, then lower the car down and drive it a couple of feet back and forth. The weight of the car is supposed to break any hardcore stuck wheel loose. I've never had to resort to this myself. Obviously it's kind of a pain since you already have it on jack stands...

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
I bought a used 04 with 2100 miles. It had been sitting on the lot for god knows how long. When it came to rotate the tires for the first time, those wheels did not want to come off, even after hitting the tires with a rubber mallet. This will break them loose guaranteed. Jack it up, take the lugs off, and verrrry slowly lower the car back down and you will hear them almost break off, then jack it back up and they'll come off easily.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts