Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 370 Posts

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: RossIsBoss's 2009 Speed 3 GT, looking to Improve power and driveability

[quote author=Adam loves JDM hoes link=topic=158864.msg3375331#msg3375331 date=1255909693]
Subbin for the engine mods. hurry hurry hurryr hurryhuryruhruyrry up.
[/quote]

lol, that's what I'm telling myself, just went in debt for this car though, so there's that payment issue... so when Money allows I'll be starting!, hopefully sooner than later on the intake and mount.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

hate to bump for such a small thing... but does anyone know a good tint shop around NW Ohio?? I'm looking to get 35 all around. then on to the pintripe delete, (damn old fashioned dealers, they think it looks good) and THEN PERFORMANCE TIMEZ!! probably going to start with a CAI and Turbo inlet at once... anything after than I'll be looking for a tuning shop for some advice... Pure tuning in Toledo seems to have their shit together... phone call time.

but srsly... tint, where? otherwise I'll risk it at TAS electronics, they have spec cut tints... dont know what kinds, any advice for a first time tinter? what stuff to buy? and how to tell if they did a good install? short of obvious signs like bubbles of course.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts

you'll get bubbles at first they'll stay for a few days depending on the weather and then the shop will tell you to give it 2 weeks if it's not all gone then bring it back and they'll fix it... Atleast that's what the shops I've been to have done. in Oklahoma and Maryland. Sorry I can't be more helpful with the location of a shop.As for thigns to look for, I would just make sure they have a lifetime warranty as all should and I wouldn't pay more than 225 or so for the job if you do they're probably ripping you a new one.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

It's too late to spend the time I need to revise the OP after much research, but after locating some parts for sale on here I now have a CP-E motor mount, RPMC Inlet and an Oil Catch can in the mail :) soon after ONE of the following will be added... CP-E CAI... CP-E catted DP (if deal still exists), or Rally Armor and tint.

I'd love to do all three now but money is too tight to drop that much at once. so I'll space them out, Intake is most likely.

·
Registered
13,452 Posts

[quote author=rossisboss link=topic=158864.msg3471279#msg3471279 date=1261768995]
let the mods begin.. did end up with the downpipe... and got some Rally Armour (red UR) for Christmas!! all I need are a dashawk, Cobb AP, and the Cp-e CAI... :p
[/quote]

I think you'll have a blast with the Standback. Forget the AP.

·
Registered
452 Posts

[quote author=Adam loves JDM hoes link=topic=158864.msg3471285#msg3471285 date=1261769343]
[quote author=rossisboss link=topic=158864.msg3471279#msg3471279 date=1261768995]
let the mods begin.. did end up with the downpipe... and got some Rally Armour (red UR) for Christmas!! all I need are a dashawk, Cobb AP, and the Cp-e CAI... :p
[/quote]

[/quote] The standback is weaksauce compared to the Cobb AP. As far as I'm concerned, the standback is just a really expensive boost controller.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

[quote author=JoeSVT link=topic=158864.msg3471287#msg3471287 date=1261769652]
[quote author=Adam loves JDM hoes link=topic=158864.msg3471285#msg3471285 date=1261769343]
[/quote]

[/quote] The standback is weaksauce compared to the Cobb AP. As far as I'm concerned, the standback is just a really expensive boost controller.
[/quote]

have you used both?? but seeing as the standback was uber expensive compared to the Cobb AP, iirc... I think I'll go with the cheaper one for now... I want good parts but my budget tells me that I need to compromise in a few area's if I want to get my power up there a little in the near future...

I would love to go all Cp-e and all professionally dyno tuned, but working for $10 an hour limits me a little, the thing is I like to save a little each month too.

from what I understand and suggestions sent my way, I shouldn't just bolt on parts as soon as I get them, I should be putting them on as a group with a tune to adjust for the changes right? which is why they make "staged" packages for cars right?

above all this car needs to last me for at least 100,000 miles ... I should be payed off, back in the market and bored of it by then.

is there anyone out there who does a lot of mazdaspeed 3 tuning and upgrading so they know what not to do and what works best? because I'd be willing to take a road trip if it means my car can be set up perfectly.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts

[quote author=rossisboss link=topic=158864.msg3471572#msg3471572 date=1261803763]
[quote author=JoeSVT link=topic=158864.msg3471287#msg3471287 date=1261769652]
[/quote]

[/quote]

have you used both?? but seeing as the standback was uber expensive compared to the Cobb AP, iirc... I think I'll go with the cheaper one for now... I want good parts but my budget tells me that I need to compromise in a few area's if I want to get my power up there a little in the near future...

I would love to go all Cp-e and all professionally dyno tuned, but working for $10 an hour limits me a little, the thing is I like to save a little each month too.

from what I understand and suggestions sent my way, I shouldn't just bolt on parts as soon as I get them, I should be putting them on as a group with a tune to adjust for the changes right? which is why they make "staged" packages for cars right?

above all this car needs to last me for at least 100,000 miles ... I should be payed off, back in the market and bored of it by then.

is there anyone out there who does a lot of mazdaspeed 3 tuning and upgrading so they know what not to do and what works best? because I'd be willing to take a road trip if it means my car can be set up perfectly.
[/quote]
Alittle late, but congrats on the new car.
The age old standback vs ap debate. I can only tell you of my personal experiences. Unf ortunately my only experiences with the ap are those with the Off the shelf maps you can download from their website. I left it at the current maps and switched to the standback2. Unfortunately I was not able to play around with the tuning capabilities of the ap so I can;t give you a opinion on that. The OTS maps however constantly spiked my boost to 21-26psi, which is not good at all. I believe you can fine tune the OTS maps with the tuning software, but since the OTS maps are tuned to be 17.5psi peak I'm not completely confident that fine tuning the boost will keep it at that, but I could be wrong. The standback will hold boost at what you set it at, it will also let you safely vent to atmosphere if you want that nice blow off valve sound. You can also tune timing and adjust air/fuel. It also lets you adjust fuel pressure. I know cp-e will work with you and e-tune your standback with data logs from the standback. I'm hoping the same goes with cobb, it's reassuring that they are getting back into the mazda market after pulling out.
Eitherway you go you'll be happy. Enjoy the ride

·
Banned
1,301 Posts

[quote author=rossisboss link=topic=158864.msg3375316#msg3375316 date=1255909352]

- Window tint, still arguing with myself over 20% rears and 35 % front or just 35% all around... in OH fronts are legal at 50%, so if I have lighter fronts they 'might' not check...
[/quote]

Hi! I'm from NE Ohio, and I've had 20% all around on 2 cars in 10 years and I've never been pulled over for only tint. Speeding, going through yellow lights, sure. Not for tint. Never a ticket, though. Knock on wood.

If you don't want to risk it, maybe go with the 35%. Personally, I don't like light, so I go with the 20% and sign the waiver at the tint shop that I wont sue them if I get pulled over, blah blah blah. :)

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

U P D A T E ! check the OP!
some dreaming mods and ones I didn't like or want to pay for are removed, list is more refined and focused now. AND VIDEOS ARE THERE!

I have parts sitting around that I can't install yet because I don't have some necessities to tune / monitor... I'll be getting most of my mods before summer though, except maybe track wheels...

one question though performance parts gurus... who makes a cheaper FMIC than Cp-e's? or is the price completely justified?... I just have a hard time justifying spending as much on ONE part as most of the rest of my parts.

and is there any missing hardware in my list to make this run reliably?

as a bonus this is my speed right now and for the last many weeks... :(

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
13,452 Posts
Re: RossIsBoss's 2009 Speed 3 GT,still parked for the winter... COME BACK SUMMER!

[quote author=rossisboss link=topic=158864.msg3489306#msg3489306 date=1263008527]
U P D A T E ! check the OP!
some dreaming mods and ones I didn't like or want to pay for are removed, list is more refined and focused now. AND VIDEOS ARE THERE!

I have parts sitting around that I can't install yet because I don't have some necessities to tune / monitor... I'll be getting most of my mods before summer though, except maybe track wheels...

one question though performance parts gurus... who makes a cheaper FMIC than Cp-e's? or is the price completely justified?... I just have a hard time justifying spending as much on ONE part as most of the rest of my parts.

and is there any missing hardware in my list to make this run reliably?

as a bonus this is my speed right now and for the last many weeks... :(
[ IMG]http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh121/rossisboss07/0108002225.jpg[/img]
[/quote]

The front mount they designed was meant to keep your bumper(and everything behind it cut free). You don't have to modify a thing. Even comes with a P/S cooler.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Re: RossIsBoss's 2009 Speed 3 GT,still parked for the winter... COME BACK SUMMER!

[quote author=Adam loves JDM hoes link=topic=158864.msg3501804#msg3501804 date=1263789340]
The front mount they designed was meant to keep your bumper(and everything behind it cut free). You don't have to modify a thing. Even comes with a P/S cooler.
[/quote]

hmm, call me easy to convince but I've taken another step towards the CP-E one... as soon as money allows...

so my first set of upgrades to go on and get tuned should be as follows.
-CP-E rear motor mount
-RPMC turbo inlet
-CP-E CAI
-Oil Catch can
-a tuning solution
-CP-E Downpipe
-and hopefully the CP-E FMIC...

then hand it over to Pure Tuning for a day and a load of dough. get it back and put a grin on my face, think if I smack a decal on from them that they'll discount it a little? lol. and I still need a Dashawk with vent mount.

Gawd I hope I get a pay raise from those wheel alignment classes!

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Re: RossIsBoss's 2009 Speed 3 GT, some parts going on soon, tint, dashawk, etc.

Only I ever post in my own thread... :( lol

anyways, see anyone who's going at CP-E's Dyno day this Saturday...

and after cleaning for hours on 2 wheels I've decided that the Hawk HPS pads throw out a much more corrosive dust than the OEM ones... guess I'll have to double up on the cleaning schedule.

oh, and I've decided that Wedsports SA-67r's are the wheels for me... if only they came in a red lip... the blue shouldn't stand out too bad... come oooonnn pay chex

1 - 20 of 370 Posts