Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going out to see a used 2014 s GT hatchback tomorrow.

It's a certified pre owned with only 3k miles on it. Listed sales price is $23,900. Overall that seems like a pretty good deal, but it's a little over my budget I'd like to spend.

What would you think is a reasonable offer to make, like $1k off? Won't know till I ask, just haven't bought a car in 13 years so don't know how much people still haggle these days.

·
Super Moderator
6,350 Posts
Depends how desperate you are for that one. If you have options/time, then tell them what you want to spend, and if they won't do it walk away... they might call back.

I've never bought a new/relatively new car so I'm no expert but I would not be happy if I wasn't getting at least 1k off. The only people that pay sticker price, or sticker price -500 are people that get sucked in to the sales peoples traps.

For example, person does a lease return on a car that is worth 10k privately. The dealership will pay then about 2-3k for it. That is 7-8k worth of profits... so they're getting a hell of a deal either way.

If they won't give you the price you want, alternatively you could negotiate for extras... parts/options, oil changes, winter tires etc. They generally respond more favorably to that (because they lose far less money).

·
Registered
243 Posts
In my experience, over the last five years, there isn't much room to negotiate price, at least how I use to do so. If we got a link to the car, I'm sure we could point out some things to use when negotiating. I wouldn't settle for less than 1.5K off, but I am a ruthless car buyer. You have to be prepared to walk away.

The car only has 3K miles on it. I would start with asking for $3K off. I'd meet them at my 1.5K, and then I would counter with a free extended warranty. EDIT: On top of my 1.5K off, and make it bumper to bumper.

Don't go showing a lot of emotions. When I bought my 3, I stepped out and said, "I really like the car.". I mentally beat the shit out of myself for being so careless with my tongue. I did recover though. Just be careful with what you say. Be prepared to walk away. They will call at least once.

You are starting this around tax season so the odds are a little against you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses. So will definitely try to get the money off. Walking away should be easy, just didn't know if the margins were lower in "new" used cars or not. It's been on the lot for about 3 weeks.

Normal 2014 sGT. No tech pkg. 1 prior owner. Meteor gray.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
So, They took about $100 off the price. Or $225 if I don't get the dent on the hood fixed.

EDIT: The OTD price was 25.5k. I don't think it's a bad deal, just was a little more than I was hoping to get. Need to decide if I'd rather save the money or just get more car.

Will have to see if they will call back, otherwise the hunt continues!

Thanks for the advice.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts