Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished reading the review at http://groups.msn.com/BrunoLuong/myfirstcontact.msnw. The author says:

"On the roof, two plastic strips run along just above the windows. On each strip, there are two plastic covers of about one inch long. Sliding out those covers, below them are the threads that are intended to mount the roof racks. A simple and neat system, but works only with factory roof racks."

I don't recall seeing this on the hatchback I test drove today here in New York, and the printed brochure I have has a photo of a car with "aftermarket roof rack shown". The review I quoted was based on a car in France. Are the French and US versions different with respect to the roof racks?

·
Registered
882 Posts
I remember back on the Pro5 the US cars came with the roof racks standard, the Canadian cars thankfully came sans roof rack (gawd awful ugly) and had those little hole covers on there. To be honest I haven't noticed them on my car but they are likely there since the roof racks are again an option this year. I remember reading they were only good for 200 or so pounds so not all that much, perhaps good for the skiers and snowboarders.

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
Keep in mind that Bruno's web site details the European spec Mazda3, some observations for other market 3s may not apply. I don't believe that Mazda is offering a factory roof rack with the 3 this year.

Thule.com has outfitting for a Mazda3 roof rack and a fitting guide.

With the thule rack, the footing simply rests on the rubber strip between the side and roof panel, then clips onto the underside of the door sill.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I think roof racks are hideous anyways. :)

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
You could always tie a rope to your _________ (insert item here), and drag them on the road... simple yet still pretty! :razz:

·
Registered
29 Posts
I checked out the Thule and that's the one I'm going with. As much as roof racks are "hideous", some of us need them to be able to haul around our other toys. No way I'm going to be able to get my kayaks in the back of my car.

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
Yakima makes a similar system (although they're configurator doesn't have the Mz3 in its system yet)... They're basically the same system, but I personally prefer the metallic look that the Thules offer over the Yakima red and black...

·
Registered
29 Posts
I was on the w-tune.com site and played with the configurator for awhile. I noticed that you could fit the MZ3 with a factory roof rack (at least in Japan). Any chance I could get in in NA?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts