Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to mount a factory-like roof rack to the Speed3 without drilling holes? I am trying to get a head start for the summer when I will be going camping and I am thinking I will need a roof top storage unit for a good portion of my gear but I do not want something that will touch the paint. TIA.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Two choices. You could by the Thule racks from the U.K. like many of us have done, or go with the standard Yakima or U.S. Thule set up. The UK racks use the fixpoint system to directly attach the towers to the car. The others use a tower clip combo that hooks into the door area. Both work well, the fixpoint less damage to car. Once you have the rack decided on any box from Yakima or Thule will work. Go to their websites and follow the links to rack my car.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
[quote author=colnagordr link=topic=70845.msg1245603#msg1245603 date=1172890689]
Two choices. You could by the Thule racks from the U.K. like many of us have done, or go with the standard Yakima or U.S. Thule set up. The UK racks use the fixpoint system to directly attach the towers to the car. The others use a tower clip combo that hooks into the door area. Both work well, the fixpoint less damage to car. Once you have the rack decided on any box from Yakima or Thule will work. Go to their websites and follow the links to rack my car.
[/quote]

The speed3 has no fix points in the rails above the doors. Is there a way to replace these?

·
Registered
82 Posts
If you lift the black trim piece that runs the length of the roof you should see two female threaded ports attached to the roof. I would think that the speed has them as well. Look closely, they can be hard to spot with the trim in place. Same body as a normal 3 should be there. If not go to www.yakima.com and follow the links to rack my car. If you dont see the speed, use the regular 3 five door. Works the same. I sell Yakima products at my shop. Best way to go after the fixpoint.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
[quote author=colnagordr link=topic=70845.msg1246082#msg1246082 date=1172927804]
If you lift the black trim piece that runs the length of the roof you should see two female threaded ports attached to the roof. I would think that the speed has them as well. Look closely, they can be hard to spot with the trim in place. Same body as a normal 3 should be there. If not go to www.yakima.com and follow the links to rack my car. If you dont see the speed, use the regular 3 five door. Works the same. I sell Yakima products at my shop. Best way to go after the fixpoint.
[/quote]

I decided to look it up on the Canadian Mazda site and sure enough, it's on there. So, is there somewhere I can buy the Canadian trim?

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For those wondering, I pulled the trim off of my speed 3 and it does have the holes for a fixpoint rack. Would be nice to hear from someone who can find the trim that the Canadian version comes with.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Those with the Canadian trim called a dealer up there to get the pieces. I drilled out my current ones. Small hole above each spot. Clean and no problems and costs a hell of a lot less. I plan on keeping the racks on all the time (except to clean) so I am not worried about the look which by the way is not at all that bad.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Just curious, what are you putting up there?

Slightly OT, the reason I like the hatch is because I can put my mountain bike inside. (pic attached) There are so many disadvantages to putting my bike on the roof. Okay, back to your regularly scheduled program...

Attachments

·
Registered
822 Posts
[quote author=Midak link=topic=70845.msg1246834#msg1246834 date=1172968194]
For those wondering, I pulled the trim off of my speed 3 and it does have the holes for a fixpoint rack. Would be nice to hear from someone who can find the trim that the Canadian version comes with.
[/quote]
Try Showcase Mazda or Online Mazda parts in the US, I think they'll get you the rails with the cutouts for the rack, and you won't have to pay extra for customs. I did order mine from Mazda of Toronto, they charged me for the rails and then after I got them I got another bill for the customs charge. Wasn't too happy about not being told about that up front.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
[quote author=Ferdball link=topic=70845.msg1255157#msg1255157 date=1173314448]
Just curious, what are you putting up there?

Slightly OT, the reason I like the hatch is because I can put my mountain bike inside. (pic attached) There are so many disadvantages to putting my bike on the roof. Okay, back to your regularly scheduled program...

[/quote]

I am putting a Thule Atlantis 1600 box up there to store camping gear. It will be me, my 8 yr old son and my brother in law so I need at least one of the back seats up.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, on an off chance, I stopped by Smith Cairns Mazda in Yonkers today and I was able to order them for $136 for the pair.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
*Update*

I ordered the rails through the fmaily body shop and our price was only $101.40 but unfortunately they arrived damaged. The packaging suggested that they came from another US dealer that had unwrapped them, damaged them and decided to resell them. They are very flimsy so if anyone here does order them, make sure you inspect them before accepting them. Smith Cairns was decent enough to accept them as an exchange even though we have had the parts for about a week.

As for the Thule 751's and the 3005 adaptor kit, I got someone in Ireland to order them and my father to pick them up and bring them back to the U.S. by May. I will get the bars locally so to avoid the hassle of my father having to come back with two 43" bars (although they could fit in the golf bag.)

·
Registered
822 Posts
The bars have to have slots in the bottom to mate up with the feet, not sure if you can get those in the US.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
[quote author=micven55 link=topic=70845.msg1281248#msg1281248 date=1174490078]
The bars have to have slots in the bottom to mate up with the feet, not sure if you can get those in the US.
[/quote]

Had them in my hands today. Not sure what you mean by bottom but they have tabs that can be removed to expose the factory fixpoint.

·
Registered
822 Posts
[quote author=Midak link=topic=70845.msg1281165#msg1281165 date=1174487543]
*Update*

I ordered the rails through the fmaily body shop and our price was only $101.40 but unfortunately they arrived damaged. The packaging suggested that they came from another US dealer that had unwrapped them, damaged them and decided to resell them. They are very flimsy so if anyone here does order them, make sure you inspect them before accepting them. Smith Cairns was decent enough to accept them as an exchange even though we have had the parts for about a week.

As for the Thule 751's and the 3005 adaptor kit, I got someone in Ireland to order them and my father to pick them up and bring them back to the U.S. by May. I will get the bars locally so to avoid the hassle of my father having to come back with two 43" bars (although they could fit in the golf bag.)
[/quote]

I'm talking about the 43" roofrack bars. The one's for the fixpoint, either the 760 rectangular bars or the 860 aero bars have slots on the bottom of the bar that start at the end and go in for about 6 inches. This is how the fixpoint feet attach to the bar. For all the thule racks I've purchased in the US the rectangular bars never had the slots in them. It does look like the US aero bars mount the same way and might work.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
[quote author=micven55 link=topic=70845.msg1281362#msg1281362 date=1174492787]
[quote author=Midak link=topic=70845.msg1281165#msg1281165 date=1174487543]
*Update*

[/quote]

I'm talking about the 43" roofrack bars. The one's for the fixpoint, either the 760 rectangular bars or the 860 aero bars have slots on the bottom of the bar that start at the end and go in for about 6 inches. This is how the fixpoint feet attach to the bar. For all the thule racks I've purchased in the US the rectangular bars never had the slots in them. It does look like the US aero bars mount the same way and might work.
[/quote]

Yeah, it's the aero bars I am getting so I should be good.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
135 euros for the feet and the 3005 kit, paid today and hopefully in NY by next month, shipped via courier (Dad.) :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts