Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I know in Europe the Mazda 3 came with roof trim that had clips to expose the roof rack mounting points. Is there any way I can get that trim in the United States? I don’t want to drill my existing trim for the possibility of restoring the car to factory conditions.
Thanks all!

-Jon

·
Registered
242 Posts
You might consider this "BP4K509L0A"... It's from onlinemazdaparts.com, but I'd expect your local dealer may be able to source it. The drawing doesn't show the fixed-point holes and covers, but it says it is for the hatchback "w/ roof rack carrier" -- so it must have the ports, right? Pretty pricey, though, so I simply drilled through mine.

Those moldings are aluminum, I think. Rather easy to kink if you're not very careful -- both with removing and with drilling. I'm pleased with how it turned out:

I've never seen a US 1st-Gen with factory ports in the roof moldings, and I couldn't even find any for sale on ebay.co.uk. It may go without saying, but the caveat with using the fixed-points rather than the clamp-style rack podiums is over-tightening or over-straining the racks can distort the fixed point mounts and allow water leakage into the roof. Not a deal-breaking risk, of course, but something to be mindful about.

Edit: here's an album with info and photos guiding the process of using the fixed-points hidden under the molding: FYI, forum user @D106 has a great write-up of fixing the roof leak (possibly because of previous owner rack overload) and ripping out the interior of his 1st-Gen Speed: Got rust, need advice

Edit2: weird formatting bug fixed

1 - 3 of 3 Posts