Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Just wondering who in melbourne will be getting a Mazda3 or already owns one. I would like to eventually organise a Mazda3 drive, maybe at calder park or sandown raceway....

I dont know much about holding car gatherings, but it would be nice to go for a spin on a racetrack once every few months.

Just say hi and what your car specs are or will be !!!

Mazda3stratros ( JC )

Mazda3 Strato SP23 Sedan, AT, Raised wing, cruise etc.... 8)

·
Registered
519 Posts
These Melbournites! So provincial! :p

We Sydney-siders will hold our _own_ roll-call! We'll have a drive! We'll have maps! And secret codes! And they'll all be better than yours! :wink:

(gosh I like Calvin&Hobbes so much)

Nono, really envious that you are so organised as to get a meet going on down there. I actually missed a recent drive down to fabled Krispy Kreme, home of the sugar donut. Now I wish I was in Mel - the thought of driving west towards the Great Ocean Rd - A line of M3's... 8)

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Like you said
Great Ocean Road, need I say more (Vic is where its at)
Of course im provincial, what would be the point of inviting other state drivers unless there in the area and sydney aint. I ve driven around sydney and your roads suck bigtime. Talk about un organised roads and planning. Melbourne Rocks and the only reason you said something is because you know it ! wink! wink!

But seriously its wonderfull that your going to have an organised club. The fact is Melbourne doesnt seem to have one , so I thought I would do something about it.

Anyways
to any melbourniteS please drop a line, im just interested in seeing how many people would be interested. (NO OBLIGATION) :)

·
Registered
207 Posts
If I get one around mid year, I wouldnt mind joining in for owner meetings etc.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Having just returned from spending the Labor Day weekend in Kelly country, my SP23 is now completely covered in dust and I've just clocked up the first 1000 kms thanks to nearly 600kms in the last 3 days. So after the first service this week I'm ready to wring its neck!

I'm saving for a tint/cruise so I'm not keen on spending the $200 or so to get track time at Calder (insurance issues aside). I know of a few nice drives through Lilydale and up to Warburton, ranging from a couple of hours to half a day or even longer. Lots of nice sealed roads with plenty of bends and some great scenery.

Let me know how much interest you get. Early sat/sun mornings are best... 8am, no traffic.

Oh btw, the car is totally amazing when pushed near the limit. I've just traded my wonderful 2yo Nissan 200sx (sniff, sob) for the SP23 and I really didn't expect this level of sportiness. The Mazda is so refined in city driving, but really grippy and balanced when punched through a 70km/h rated country bend at 110 (wowsers note: full visibility for 500m each direction, no cars or concealed entrances in sight). All that's lacking is low down torque - rather woeful in fact - but easily fixed by gearing down and some wide open throttle.

I could go on.. perhaps I'll do a full review soon. Cheers everyone.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I'm pleasantly surprised that Victoria/Victorians have developed a roading system, although still primitive this will do wonders for the typical Victorian, only last year I was down there and it was one giant sheep station using predominantly horse and cart - sheesh how times change!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There is always one in each forum. Fiordland .. How does it feel to be the one....

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
one more thing... Have you even driven around sydney. Talk about no planning whatsoever.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No your the only one

·
Registered
308 Posts
I take it your still angry about Sydney hosting the Olympics, at least you guy's make some nice dairy products.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
im lactose intolerant :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Samps,

I too have driven a s15 200sx. I absolutely love that car and was about to buy one however insurance killed me in the end. As I have only had a few drives in the 200sx I was wondering if you could note the major differences in terms of performance and handling between the two. Performance wise, the 200sx is a true everyday sportscar and is a good benchmark. Although the mazda 3 is in a totally different class, i'm hoping with a few mods that I can get it close to the performance of a 200sx. Do you think this is achievable given your experience and feel for the 2 cars?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Aus_speed: this is a tough one, since your idea of "performance" may be different to mine. But I'll try. :)

Let's start with the engine. The Mazda3 has more capacity, so with the same mods it should be capable of producing more power. It all depends on how far you are willing to go... bolt on a turbo, an intercepter chip, intercooler and exhaust and suddenly you have a 2.3L turbo capable of 200kW (250HP). Personally I'm not a fan of high powered front wheel drive vehicles, so it wouldn't seem right to me. And those mods would cost you FAR more than a few years of insurance on a 200sx!

However, I think the Mazda3 is a superbly balanced little car, much easier to drive around town, with better grip than the Nissan. Remember, they use the 200sx for drifting, b/c its so easy to slide the rear end. Trust me, the Nissan feels like its on ice sometimes, saved only by the tricky hellical differential which does a nice job of catching (accidental) tailslides.

Back to the Mazda3. The build quality is WAY above the Nissan, which in terms of power increases means that it should handle the extra horsepower/torque without developing squeaks and rattles as my Nissan did. Hop in a 2-3 yo 200sx and hit a few bumps with the windows down and you'll see what I mean. The driveline is bulletproof but the body is so-so. The Mazda feels like a bank vault in comparison. I've been in a modified 210kW Nissan S15 and the body made a lot of noise.

I'll get to the point. If you really really want to buy a Mazda3 and make the power that of a 200sx, I think it's possible but be prepared to spend some cash. Without a turbo you simply won't make the same torque - unless you're prepared to build a $10,000 normally aspirated engine (or transplant something out of a Honda). Torque is what gets a car going at the traffic lights, which is important on the street! Btw I prefer the 6 speed manual in the Nissan, it allows you to make better use of the engine's power at all speeds. I've had the Nissan up to 225km/h and sixth gear was still pulling hard up to 200. Lovely gearbox.

As for handling, I think the Mazda3 SP23 (with it's bigger brakes and sports suspension) is superb. The brakes are about 95% as good as the Nissan, with incredible feel and the added benefit of Electronic Brakeforce Distribution. It's more advanced than the Nissan and the cars weigh roughly the same, so I'd say they're about equal. The Nissan's suspension is more direct and communicates better to the driver, but as with any car the Mazda could be modified to drive just the same. The only limitation is the front wheel drive setup, which equates to a different driving style if you want to get technical about things. The mazda's spring/damper combination is awesome, the car feels like a big european sedan over speed humps but without the body roll. Perhaps the low profile tyres are a bit noisy on rough bitumen but you can't have everything! I prefer a little noise for the sake of performance. One thing I loved about the nissan was the driving position - you feel like you're in a go-cart, whereas the Mazda is a bit high.

So unless you plan to race the Mazda3 on the track, I think for 30 grand there's a whole lot of potential. If you insure with Just Cars they allow any mods so long as you tell them, and your premium shouldn't go up (at least mine didn't). So pocket the 10k difference on the Nissan and once you're out of the warranty period get a turbo kit. You should be able to blow away those Astra turbo SRi hairdresser cars no worries!

For those who don't know, the Mazda3 was engineered by the same team that developed the RX8. It's not surprising the 3 looks and handles the way it does - call me biassed but for 30 grand I reckon it's a work of art. Say no more!

:twisted:

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Please, this section is to talk about creating a melbourne mazda3 car club.

·
Registered
861 Posts
So anyone have any further thoughts on a mazda3 drive day?

How good would a procession of a dozen or more of us look snaking along the great ocean road?! :)

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Never having been in a car group club thingy whatever... I have no idea, about how to plan a Mazda3 - FUN RUN.

The way I imagined it would go, would be to drive to a destination, (lorne) for instance, in the morning. Everyone meet at the beach carpark and all go and have breakfast together. Then we all drive further up the great ocean road to some other place meet again look at each others cars etc..... late lunch maybe... then all drive back home to melbourne.... The great ocean road is a nice highspeed drive. But Iam open to any destination within a 1 day limit.

seeing as the weather is getting colder maybe summer is better for a fun run...

anyone else with some ideas ??

·
Registered
861 Posts
I think that sounds great!!

Anyone else?

It would be nice to compare all the cars together, to see different colours next to each other, and the different specs etc...

Should just be a drive day... no clubs, meets, costs, pressure etc. Just jump in your car in the morning and go to the meeting point and get the chance to meet others and check out their cars! Then head off together for a drive.

I would question my skills as a race driver, and dont approve of that on a public road anyway, so just a cruise down to the beach would suit me fine! :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hello all, i just bought the wife a new Mazda 3 SP23 in winning blue and waiting to take delivery of her.

As for cruises i am currently a member of the WRX club (thats my car) and they organise big cruises all the time esspecialy on the great ocean road or the spur.

A good idea will be to get a few people together to organise the cruise meet and make up some maps for the cruise.

Pick a day and a meeting point were everyone meets up, hand out the maps, 2 way radios are also handy to have and head off from there.

A BBQ lunch would be nice also so people can mingle and get to know each other, talk about modifications done to their cars what they think of them..etc etc.

The only down side to big cruises are 1: Liability issues if someone got hurt
2: it only takes a couple of crazy drivers to spoil it for everyone
3: Police esspecialy if they catch on about a big cruise and know there are modded cars.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts