Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone bought any of the ebay versions of the smoked tailight kits? I have the rockblocker, and it does the job, but I keep seeing the ones on ebay for $15.99 - instead of rockblocker at $49.99 (or even Lamin-x at $54.99).

Just wondering how the ebay versions hold up: How thick is it (the rb is pretty thick - good for protection), do they look clear (not cloudy), did the adhesive work out well, and did they fit the lights correctly?

One of mine has a scuff that I cant get out - someone pushed a shopping cart into it at the mall. Luckily its only the the 3M vinyl, and no damage to the light.

·
Registered
390 Posts
i bought the ebay smoking kit worked pretty well actually, gotta reapply when dirt gets inside but works good

·
Registered
390 Posts
yeah its hard to tell cuz of the flash an everything. heres another one

·
Registered
390 Posts
well i wanted the lighter one so i wouldnt get pulled over and i still get the same look at night so i cant complain.

·
Registered
11,648 Posts
[quote author=wheredthat3go link=topic=74723.msg1359158#msg1359158 date=1177364686]
well i wanted the lighter one so i wouldnt get pulled over and i still get the same look at night so i cant complain.
[/quote]

right, i just thought that the "lighter" was darker than that. so is that the 35 then?

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
[quote author=*txmica3* link=topic=74723.msg1341507#msg1341507 date=1176762424]
what about orical? isnt that another option?

great question though, i was wondering the same thing...
[/quote]

you can buy a 10yard x 15" roll of oracal for $32. i have used both and the oracal is way easier to work with. you can wrap it around the light and not worry about corners peeling up.

http://www.signsupply.com/Vinyl/Oracal/8300.asp

here is a pic of my old 3 every light and reflector has the film on it.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
the film is the dark grey.

to get out the wrinkles just heat it up with a hair dryer and pull on the film.

for the head and tail lights you need 2 people. one to hold the light and hair dryer and one to smooth and strech out the film. i used a window tint squeege to get the bubbles out.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
you must not have been pulling hard enough. the film streches alot before it rips. just keep heating it up and pulling on it. i was able to do them by myself.

·
Registered
11,648 Posts
so did you stretch it while heating it - before letting it touch the surface?

or spread it best you can on the surface, then heat it and stretch it? i must have not done it right as you said. i dont want to do my front, just the back... i like the black headlights with angel eyes in front, the back could look a little meaner though.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.