Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm highly considering buying a Mazda 3 because it's good on gas and is plenty roomy enough for me. However, I'm wondering if you guys think it's roomy enough for a road trip with four adults. Also, is the mpg as good as the reviews say? That would the basis of its appeal, taking it on the trip. We would obviously pack light. We would be going from New Jersey to California, so it would be quite a drive. It would have to be a first gen, and a hatchback.

Again, I am in the market for a 4-cylinder that's stick either way, and the Mazda 3 has always caught my eye. Whatever car I buy I'm going to be taking on this trip. Other cars I was considering were a Honda Accord sedan, and a Ford Fusion.

·
Registered
358 Posts
the comparable to fusion and accord would be a Mazda6.

the mazda3 back seat is okay for the city, I would not want to ride back there cross country.

·
Registered
31,083 Posts
i suppose it may depend on the size of the rear passengers.
i think typical highway mileage is around 30+ (if you drive the speed limit, paybe a little more).
Keep in mind that mileage varies from car to car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've done two road trips in my Mazda3. It was awesome because I was by myself... haha. For four adults? I would considers a full-sized sedan... maybe even something that eco-friendly to keep an eye on your gas mileage?

Other than that... I have made 2 round trips from Orange County, CA to Seattle, WA and only had to fill up 3 times each way (6 total for one trip) so gas was only $180 for one round trip (cheaper than flying!!).

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I've forced myself into the back seat of my Mazda3 a couple of times. If someone tried to make me take a road trip back there they'd get a bullet in the back of the head before we left the driveway. But I'm more than 4 feet tall - YMMV.

·
Registered
358 Posts
The Mazda 3, for a compact, its a decent back seat. That's the key qualifier - for a compact.

I test sat the back seat before I bought mine, its actually not bad, I'm 6 foot, there's a couple inches above my head, and as long as the front seats are not all the way back, the leg room is passable. Better than many.

MPG, I typically manage 33-35 on the highway, with two adults and luggage. Another 300-400 pounds of weight would undoubtedly reduce the mileage by a bit.

If the back seat passengers are not tall ... 5'8" or less ... and not fatties, and fine with not a huge amount of space, it may be okay. But anyone larger wouldn't want to be back there for a long period is my 2 cents.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I roadtripped with my father from NY to AZ. I did not have any rear seat passengers, but the back was LOADED with three computers, a portable safe, a cooler, luggage/clothes ... etc. Now, mind you, I have a hatchback. But, there was definitely a lot of weight in the back. The rear end sat much lower than it should have lol. I'm glad I didn't lower my car, because there might have been problems if I did. With all of the weight, and doing ~80MPH the whole way, we still averaged about 24mpg... not too shabby. I'd definitely get the hatchback if you were considering a roadtrip, for two reasons. The first is storage. The second is rear seat headroom; you get the feeling of more head space with the hatchback. I'm not sure your rear seat passengers would be happy for any extended period of time though; you'll wind up playing Chinese Fire Drill every few hours. I'd wait and take a look at the new Mazda5... now THAT looks like a nice, economical road trip car. Go to Mazda's website and check it out!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just ran to Orlando from Lake Worth with my dad and my brother. My bro is 5'9" and 200lbs and he rode the back seat of M3i sedan like a champ with no complaints. Orlando is 172 miles from my house and I averaged 86 mph and was getting just shy of 27 mpg. I know I would have seen better economy going the speed limit which is 65 mph on average along the Florida Turnpike between West Palm Beach and Orlando. Not a bad car for road trips, and plenty of power when you need to skate past the rolling road blocks.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I like long road trips in the 3 if I'm solo. If my wife and daughters come along then we take our 4Runner. The 3 gets a little cramped with everyone in it. It's also loud(er) on the hwy, but it does get good mileage (28-30/mpg at ~80mph).

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
MZ3 is nice for commuting, but I wouldn't want to drive one for an extended period unless I had to. I drove from Ventura County to Santa Cruz (6 hours) solo, and just about passed out after I got there. I also make one-day trips from Ventura County to SLO County every once-in-a-while (3 hours each way) and it also get a little cumbersome driving the MZ3 after a while.

I recently drove my F150 from here to Las Vegas and back (total of around 12 hours of driving, and being awake for about 18 hours) in one day (watched the sunrise on the way there and the sunset on the way back), and I felt like I could drive for another 5 hours after I got back.

10" of suspension travel & 35" tires (at 28 PSI) pretty much make the road as smooth as butter. That and not having to fight the car in strong crosswinds (since the truck weighs 6000lbs and has more rubber in contact with the road) and being able to take it easy and drive 60-65 without pissing others off is also nice.

It also gets half the fuel economy as the MZ3, so I only drive it if I have some other reason to. Like on the Vegas trip, I took a "short cut" through the Stoddard Valley from Barstow. :lol:

·
Registered
975 Posts
if you want a 4 door sedan for a road trip with 4 adults thats gonna get good gas mileage get a Jetta Diesel. Youll get over 40mpg easy with 4 adults, probably 45. That said, I have taken my 3s on a 9 hour drive and it was great by myself.

Another suggestion, with good headroom for back passengers is the Honda Fit, I am actually looking at buying one at the moment.

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
I wouldn't recommend it. The backseat can be quite cramped with small kids in it, let alone 4 adults. My 6 though handled it quite well.

·
Registered
358 Posts
mpg2675 is long gone. anyway, the fusion is an uninspired hunk of the nothing metal, the salespeople think the best things about the car are the size of the trunk and the microsoft sync ... the auto tranny that comes in it does not even have a sport shift. ford may be the best north american nameplate, but think about it, that ain't sayin much.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've done two road trips in my Mazda3. It was awesome because I was by myself... haha. For four adults? I would considers a full-sized sedan... maybe even something that eco-friendly to keep an eye on your gas mileage?

Other than that... I have made 2 round trips from Orange County, CA to Seattle, WA and only had to fill up 3 times each way (6 total for one trip) so gas was only $180 for one round trip (cheaper than flying!!).
Good to know, I’m making that same trip in 2 months.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts