Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning, I saw an asshole get irate behind an innocent woman for not taking her free right turn on a red light while oncoming traffic was turning into the same direct she'd be turning into. I didn't think quick enough to get involved in the situation, somewhat to my regret, but I thought I'd at least turn it into inspiration to say something on here and maybe--just maybe--educate somebody who would otherwise be the next version of this asshole.

Yes, you can take a free right turn on a red light. No, it is not required. If any driver, for ANY reason, does not feel safe taking that free right turn, they have absolutely no obligation to do so--no matter how much of a hurry you are in, or how much better you believe your judgment to be than theirs. It's their decision to stay or go, and YOUR obligation to wait.

Thank you. Anybody else have any situations like this to throw in, where people get unjustifiably angry on the road?

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Doesn't matter, a red light is a red light and there's no requirement that they make that turn until the light turns green. Period. Learn some patience and common decency or get the hell off the road.

·
Registered
17,662 Posts
I don't agree with getting irate, but I also don't agree with one person wasting everyone else's time because they aren't paying attention or don't understand traffic law.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
[quote author=fatabbot link=topic=171046.msg3622847#msg3622847 date=1271681665]
I don't agree with getting irate, but I also don't agree with one person wasting everyone else's time because they aren't paying attention or don't understand traffic law.
[/quote]

I don't disagree with you... it is annoying in some situations. But you saw my main point, which is that it's in no way a justifiable basis for road rage. No matter how annoying or inconvenient that situation can be, that person is still 100% within the laws and rules of the road. If you're going to be an irate asshole, at least be in the right when you do it.

·
Registered
17,662 Posts
Like I said, I don't agree with getting irate (over this or any other traffic incident). I will give someone like that a honk or two, but it's not like I'm gonna tailgate them, cut them off or give them a finger. Just a friendly "suggestion". :lol:

·
Registered
30,738 Posts
definitely...something like that happens i'm more like need to get around this dumb fuck if possible since they can't drive :lol: no sense in showing visible anger anyway

maybe she saw him getting pissed and decided to screw him more...guy coulda been riding her ass or something getting to the light....then just :funny: at the road rage guy

·
Registered
38,702 Posts
I will almost always make a right on red if there is not a sign prohibiting that. However... if I have some impatient asshole behind me that tailed me for the last 5 miles you can bet your ass I will sit at that light and not move until it turns green.

:lmao:

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
[quote author=ZOOM 3 link=topic=171046.msg3622857#msg3622857 date=1271682129]
maybe she saw him getting pissed and decided to screw him more...guy coulda been riding her ass or something getting to the light....then just :funny: at the road rage guy
[/quote]

She looked terrified to me.

·
Registered
9,451 Posts
[quote author=fatabbot link=topic=171046.msg3622853#msg3622853 date=1271682049]
Like I said, I don't agree with getting irate (over this or any other traffic incident). I will give someone like that a honk or two, but it's not like I'm gonna tailgate them, cut them off or give them a finger. Just a friendly "suggestion". :lol:
[/quote]

+1

Just like traffic circles, accept to me that is worse. Since I have to go through 2 of them right by my house getting off the highway from my work commute I see it a lot. Plenty of people who pull up to the traffic circle and stop, see a car 100ft from the traffic circle and wait until they pull up and go through the circle.

DUDE! It is whoever is IN the circle who has the right of way. Plus, even if you had waited a good 3 seconds, a mississippi count 3 seconds, you still could have gone no problem. Also all those who stop and wait for traffic to finish going through the circle when no one goes through their part of the circle. IE direct on coming traffic can either go a quarter of the way around and get off the on highway or go 180 degrees around and drive right past you, but the only way they are going to 'hit you' if you pull in to the circle is if they decide they are going to make a U-turn or drive around the circle a few times like a lost bird.

Its pretty stinking easy to tell what they are going to do in advance, just don't go if the person isn't commiting to getting out of the circle.

Plenty of times I have sat behind someone for 2-3 minutes as I watch traffic keep getting out of the circle without ever intruding in to the sacred personal space that the car in front of me would have to travel if it were to pull in to the circle. The best I have gotten for my troubles is the person flicking me off when I honk. Okay I have gotten an embaressed "I don't know what I am doing behind the wheel" kind of look in the rear view mirror a few times.

That is up there with those idiots who sit at the right light when they can make the right turn, with sight lines of hundreds of feet and no cars coming who can't up and make the turn.

Learn to drive. Comfort I can understand if there is traffic coming, even if I feel like I could make it. But if grandma on her Rascal scooter could make it, you damn well can as well.

I certainly don't get all road ragey though, just ain't safe. Might hear some paint blisstering words if the windows were down on rare occasions though.
-Matt

·
Registered
38,702 Posts
What drives me crazy is when I get some jerk at a red light is honking like crazy for me to go right on red... despite the sign RIGHT next to us that says No Right on Red.

·
Registered
9,451 Posts
[quote author=LaraW link=topic=171046.msg3622928#msg3622928 date=1271684417]
What drives me crazy is when I get some jerk at a red light is honking like crazy for me to go right on red... despite the sign RIGHT next to us that says No Right on Red.
[/quote]

Yeah that ticks me off as well. The best is the times I have leaned out the window to point at the sign and have the guy honk at me more.
-Matt

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
rofl omg.........i got out of my car and pointed at the sign once...dude was just laying on the horn (and it was a reallllly fucking long light but it was no turn on red)....so i hop out...that scared him at first because he immediately stopped....course i dont think anyone could possibly be threatened by me...anyway i hop out...walk around my car point to the sign look back...flip him off and got back in my car, he stopped honking his horn after that =D....was pretty pissed off (had had a bad day) and this guy just really got on my last nerve...was the only time i actually truly was pissed off at another driver...most the time im just slightly annoyed but i was about to kill someone that day

·
Registered
288 Posts
[quote author=Chaos link=topic=171046.msg3622843#msg3622843 date=1271681278]
Doesn't matter, a red light is a red light and there's no requirement that they make that turn until the light turns green. Period. Learn some patience and common decency or get the hell off the road.
[/quote]

learn some common sense and make traffic flow faster.

·
Registered
292 Posts
[quote author=Chaos link=topic=171046.msg3622824#msg3622824 date=1271679396]Thank you. Anybody else have any situations like this to throw in, where people get unjustifiably angry on the road?
[/quote]Curious as the age of the irate driver. I used to get pissed off over every little thing when I was younger. Now I'm not younger anymore, and 22 years of my wife bitching at me for being an asshole has finally sunk in. If I ever have to be anywhere bad enough that 30 seconds at red light is gonna make a difference, then I shoulda left earlier. About the only thing nowadays that sets me off are people who block the intersection in high traffic areas even tho they know full well they won't make it through when they choose to ignore the caution light. If everyone would play by the rules to begin with, chances are that traffic might not be backed up so much in the first place.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
About the only times I ever really get annoyed with other drivers is when they're going far too slow (or conversely far too fast), riding alongside another car on the highway instead of making the pass, or not really paying attention/knowing what they're doing.

I was heading down to Philly last weekend and for some reason the entire time I was on 476 I was getting behind people who decided that they were going to drive anywhere between 45 and 60 while in the passing lane, constantly slowing down and speeding up. After finally getting past them I would look over and see them with their hands tight on the wheel, sitting ramrod straight and looking like they'd just seen a ghost.

And I was in Boston the weekend before last and was heading to one of the zoos there with my sister and her bf (her bf driving) and noticed that trains of cars would just latch onto each other as they're turning left and just keep going even after their arrow had gone away and those of us on the other side had our green light. My favorite one though was the girl in an SUV that decided she had the right of way turning left and pointed to us like she was saying "ok I'm going now." No, you wait until you have a spot to go in.

I still hold firm that everyone while should have the right to try and get a license, driving tests in the U.S. are not hard enough and that most people who pass them should not have. Yet a lot of people think they're great drivers because they obey all the traffic laws, but its less about obeying the laws than it is being able to analyze the situation and make the correct moves so as to avoid an accident.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
[quote author=LaraW link=topic=171046.msg3622862#msg3622862 date=1271682283]
I will almost always make a right on red if there is not a sign prohibiting that. However... if I have some impatient asshole behind me that tailed me for the last 5 miles you can bet your ass I will sit at that light and not move until it turns green.

:lmao:
[/quote]

+111111111111111111111111111

·
Registered
9,451 Posts
[quote author=UnderEstimated link=topic=171046.msg3624012#msg3624012 date=1271721765]
My biggest issue is when people use the right shoulder (or bike lane) to pass cars because they're making a right turn up ahead.
[/quote]

I only do that if

A) Traffic is stopped at a light
B) I am only a couple of cars from the actual turn lane.

I am not sitting my butt there for 2-3 minutes possibly when I litterally just have to dodge around 1-3 cars to get in the turn lane. I am not that guy who does it from a quarter mile back though.
-Matt

1 - 20 of 60 Posts