Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the driver side of my 2004 mazda 3s the carpet is torn in a few different places. Im just want to look at all of my options before I make a move on this.

Getting the whole car's carpet replaced seems like its too much work to do just for a few rips within one square foot of eachother.

Can I patch the section with replacement carpet? Then get some nice heavy duty all-weather mats?

If pictures will help, I can post a few.

· Registered
149 Posts
I have to admit the 3's carpets are pretty cheaply made and I quite disappointed, my dead foot area is almost toast after two years :( BMW makes a far superior carpet.

· Registered
251 Posts
I have to admit the 3's carpets are pretty cheaply made and I quite disappointed, my dead foot area is almost toast after two years :( BMW makes a far superior carpet.
I totally agree on the cheap quality carpet. Even at just over 40k, my dead pedal is well worn.

BigMike, an all weather mat is nice but it to will cause additional wear. I have the Mazda all weather mats, which are a bit heavy. Perhaps a different brand would be better.

· Registered
587 Posts
Mine is in great shape. After 5 years its still intact. And aside from dirt...that's about it. To compare it to a car in a luxury segment seems that is nearly 10k more expensive seems unfair.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk 2

· Registered
172 Posts
I wore through the carpet mat and into the base carpet on my 3. Just wore it right through from my clutch heel. When I bought my speed, I made a replacement mat out of a carpet tile. Low pile, thick rubber backing. Its only been in a week or so, but it was cheap. We had some extras lying around here at work, so I made 2 for the fronts. Ill get pics up tomorrow. Its nothing fancy, but im on a tight budget with a baby and single income, so I do what I can lol.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

· Registered
172 Posts
Pics of the carpet I put in. Its thick rubber on the bottom, so it should hold up for a while.

Attachments

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Those mats look pretty solid there Sailor.

Does anyone have any experience with getting a section patched? I want to do a nice square foot section on the driver side. Are there any problems doing it that way?

And it is unfortunate that the carpeting in this car is a bit on the cheap side, but its better than something important going.

Also, upon further inspection, the actual metal of the car is exposed in one of the rips on the floor. A bit of rust is visible as well. Im going to sand it a little bit, then put down a rust deterrent and a bit of touch up paint. Is that a good idea?

· Registered
172 Posts
Those mats look pretty solid there Sailor.

Does anyone have any experience with getting a section patched? I want to do a nice square foot section on the driver side. Are there any problems doing it that way?

And it is unfortunate that the carpeting in this car is a bit on the cheap side, but its better than something important going.

Also, upon further inspection, the actual metal of the car is exposed in one of the rips on the floor. A bit of rust is visible as well. Im going to sand it a little bit, then put down a rust deterrent and a bit of touch up paint. Is that a good idea?
Thanks!

Ive never patched the carpet before, so cant help much there. Im sure if the pile is high enough, it should blend enough to disguise a patch job.

As for the rust, u should be fine if u sand it and treat it for rust. Its under the carpet so its not gonna show.

· Registered
149 Posts
Mine is in great shape. After 5 years its still intact. And aside from dirt...that's about it. To compare it to a car in a luxury segment seems that is nearly 10k more expensive seems unfair.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk 2
I was comparing my extensive relationships with e28's fro the 80's era. A far superior quality, Hell my 94 Isuzu Impulse had better carpets too :) You must have gotten a magic carpet or something lol

· Registered
587 Posts
Here's a pic

· Registered
149 Posts
My 08 has black carpets and I almost have worn down the dead foot area right through to the backing on the factory carpets. Also patching a carpet would be difficult unless you were to it glue to the floor.

Or you could remove the entire carpet from vehicle and get some heavy duty gauge thread and sew the patch in(how I would try this). Or take to a pro and get them to do it for you after you've delt with the rust on your floor.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, I sanded the rusted area a bit. Cleaned it up, then painted over it.

Going to go to an upholstery shop nearby and suggest him patching it. I can probably buy the carpeting myself and bring it into him.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, ended up doing the job myself.

Ordered some black carpeting and some jute.

Carefully cut out a section that was bad, hot glued some jute into place. Then hot glued the carpeting on top overlapping the hump and going under the seat to avoid any edges from being exposed.

I used hot glue because the carpet glue that I ordered would not bond anything. Hot glue bonded instantly and still looks good a couple weeks later!

Now, I need to get some nice all-weather mats for the upcoming winter. Any suggestions?

· Premium Member
6,374 Posts
weathertech
Yeah, but it is kinda nice to have carpets. I only use my weathertechs in the winter.

The fabric in my old 3 was torn due to some stilettos.... asked my mom about it at the time and she went into her sewing kit and came out with some kind of black fabric tape. Worked perfectly and since it wasn't in a very visible spot it didn't matter that it didn't look 100% perfect. (obviously you can tell there was tape there) However, once you tape it you could glue any other fabric overtop it to match

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.