Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
watching lost till 2am i went downstairs trying to sleep but couldn't. So staying up finishing up some work till 4am i hear dogs barking but think it's nothing going on. Then doorbell rings and my brother answers and tells me that someone tried taking my rims. My inital reaction was what!! I was awake this whole time... and thought maybe they just started to take them... i go out and 3 rims are gone and one is just hanging on.. cinder blocks are underneath the frame (thank goodness it wasn't touching the side strips.) Turns out my neighbor called and i'll have to give them a present for looking out. I'm sure if cops didn't come any longer the two guys (i think they were in hs or college) would have been gone and i'll be buying rims out of my own pocket. I went to discount tires and got them retorqed and now i have questions. (i should have tooken photos of my car as it was shocking to see someone can do this in front of your house)..

1. They totally stripped my colored lug nuts and I realize despite the nuts having special key socket they still took it. O Will insurance cover this? I have the police that recorded all this that have been stripped and missing items.. case report.

2. Will insurance go up if i report this?

2. Should i get this car tuned at a dealer? The front left disk brake was actually touching the ground and suspension in back looked bit off..
if yes, i'm thinking insurance won't cover this. (might have to get the 20,000 -30,000 mile tune up service)

3. Rims probally got bit scratch marks due to mishandling i believe... ... cops would just roll the rims and face it flat on its' face....probally cops fault i don't know but i don't think insurance will cover this also? (i heard people getting there cars key'd never got reimbursed etc..)

4. Cops asked me if i wanted to press charges.. what does this actually mean? he mentioned i have to go to court and be present.. i don't know why... I know everyone makes mistakes and if insurance covers all this i don't really don't know if pressing charges is necessary...

I should start moving everything in my garage and put my car there or get a high end alarm system....

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
pressing charges basically means, do you want them to pay for there crime or do you want them to just get away with it.

prosecute them bitches. sorry I wasnt more help lol

·
Registered
7,672 Posts
Tell the judge you just want 10 minutes alone with them in a sealed room :lol:

Justice would be served.

Why was your car not in the garage anyways ? If you have one use it.

·
Registered
38,702 Posts
Definitely press charges. There is absolutely no excuse for what those kids did.

·
Registered
242 Posts
After all the mistakes i've made in my life you don't mess with another man's ride unless they do it first.
You don't have to press charges if you don't want to, but that just seems like your opening yourself up for this to be repeated.

·
Registered
658 Posts
[quote author=LaraW link=topic=136161.msg2934082#msg2934082 date=1234534780]
Definitely press charges.  There is absolutely no excuse for what those kids did.
[/quote]

Exactly what I was going to post. +1

·
Registered
36,001 Posts
Dude, press charges. At least those particular kids will think twice about doing it again. Also, what kind of wheels do you have?

I would recommend getting a wheel lock set where the key goes on the inside of the lock (much like the OEM wheel locks). That way people dont have an outside semi-hex shape to grip with any sort of tool. Oh, and use your freaking garage.. lol.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Press charges. If they are underage parents may have to make restitution. Insurance should cover the damages, but how high is your deductible? Insurance probably won't cover dealer vehicle inspection unless they send it, they have adjusters to inspect for damages.

Good luck,
Paul

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
[quote author=animescreen link=topic=136161.msg2933350#msg2933350 date=1234494999]
1. They totally stripped my colored lug nuts and I realize despite the nuts having special key socket they still took it. O Will insurance cover this? I have the police that recorded all this that have been stripped and missing items.. case report.
Yes, insurance will cover new lugs if you say they are damaged beyond re-use.

2. Will insurance go up if i report this?
No.

2. Should i get this car tuned at a dealer? The front left disk brake was actually touching the ground and suspension in back looked bit off..
if yes, i'm thinking insurance won't cover this. (might have to get the 20,000 -30,000 mile tune up service)
You don't need to get it "tuned" but you should definitely have the alignment checked out, and fixed if necessary. Insurance will cover this along with #1 if you report it.

3. Rims probally got bit scratch marks due to mishandling i believe... ... cops would just roll the rims and face it flat on its' face....probally cops fault i don't know but i don't think insurance will cover this also? (i heard people getting there cars key'd never got reimbursed etc..)
Insurance might cover replacing the rims if they're really bad. It would help to have recent pictures of the rims on the car, without any scratches present.

4. Cops asked me if i wanted to press charges.. what does this actually mean? he mentioned i have to go to court and be present.. i don't know why... I know everyone makes mistakes and if insurance covers all this i don't really don't know if pressing charges is necessary...
Yes! Press charges, or else the kids are much more likely to repeat the offense.

I should start moving everything in my garage and put my car there or get a high end alarm system....
Yes, definitely use a garage if you have one available. Your car will thank you for it :)
[/quote]

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok Consensus is to press charges... and reason seems valid to teach them a lesson and not for personal vendetta. However I don't know exactly how to do so. When cops came at 4am he asked me if i wanted to press charges and i asked if i don't what will happen? He said they will let them go right now and I said ok, go ahead and press charges and he mentioned i have to go to court now.. (not a big deal)..

But since i said to press charges, I don't think it has anything to do with replacing the lug nuts or compensating for any damages... He mentioned i need to deal with the insurance regarding this matter and police doesn't have anything to do with getting the lug nuts back or possible tune up. (scratch on rims i'll let it slide)...

So i called insurance and they said it will be covered but if its only higher then my deductible which is 500 at the moment.. I believe the nuts were 125.00 and tune up might be 50-70.00 (20k checkup) so they won't cover it for sure... So since police said they aren't the ones to deal with this and insurance won't cover unless it's over 500.00 deductible... what other options do i have? I'm sure the two guys are ultimately responsible so i don't know how i will be able to have them pay for this? Small claims court seems like a very tedious and lengthy process....

if it were you guys.. what would you do? just forget the 125 nuts and buy cheaper nuts myself?

One side note... the neighbor who called the police has very bad hearing and someone can call his name loud from across the street and he won't hear it... for some odd reason he heard a dog go berserk and thats when he called the police... so Dog's know when things are suspicious... and 17 years of being his neighbor i have never talked to this guy ..nothing bitter.. just simple hi and wave... and i'll probally have to talk to him and thank him personallly..

·
Registered
10,739 Posts
Yeah, unfortunately it sounds like you'll have to eat the cost of an alignment/checkup if there's nothing major wrong. As for lugs, I would just get a set of Gorillas with a locking nut. Cheap and reliable, and harder to remove without the key than those heptagonal ones.

And... definitely thank your neighbor personally! The cost of an alignment and new lugs is probably a LOT less than the cost of a new set of wheels and tires...

·
Registered
264 Posts
The cost of 3 new tires would be around $400.00 and 3 new OEM wheels would be over a $1,000 . Press charges if you don't there gonna come back for more!

·
Registered
6,863 Posts
first find where they live or just follow them around for a day and see there where they go and what they do. Then call up your homeboys and let them know what happened. Then go out and find a time where you can beat the living shit out of them but you are not present or the kids can't see your face. AND press charges BUT if they are young meaning 15ish or younger then i say don't press charges and see what there parents have to say about it and see what the parents have to say. If the parents sound like they don't give a shit then press charges to the fullest extent.

·
Registered
6,863 Posts
no but seriously i would press charges.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ok to close the matters... cop showed up again to deliver one missing lug nut (how wierd..) i asked him about the case and getting damages fixed etc.. and he pretty much said i'll get a victims letter and i list the items that were damaged, lost etc... so i guess this is way better then insurance and small claims.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
On a side note.. will getting a car alarm solve the problem of rim jackers? i don't know if alarm will go off if people try takinjg wheels.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts