Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to get alignment on Sunday , & the tech said that RR shock is leaking (blown)

I've been riding on OEM shock's & Tein s-tech spring's , since June of 06'

This was'nt in the plans to replace the shocks just yet, but was somthing I was gonna do eventually.

Any suggestion's on the next step I should take?

·
Registered
836 Posts
I would go MazdaSpeed or some Konis. Both are pricey but its the best stuff thats out for now. On a side note. Did you have a feeling or notice anything different or anything wrong about the car while driving?

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's the thing I did'nt notice anything, it was a complete suprise

But I'll jack up the car 2day & see if there some type of "leaking" coming from the shock...

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
You could just replace the rears for now. It's cheaper and easier to do. Sure it would be nice to replace all 4 at once, but if you weren't planning on it you could always do that route for now.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I was thinking the same thing...

What if I did mazdaspeed rear's & Koni's yellow front stut's later..

Beacause the rears would a hassle to adjust anyway...

Do you guy's think that combo would work?

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Drop springs + stock shock = blown shock. Just a matter of time before all of them fail.

I would doublecheck the mazdaspeeds - I could be wrong but I dont think they were designed for a lowered suspension. Koni Yellows should definitely be OK. Or if you can get someone to import them, Bilstein makes a buttload of variants for the 3 - just not in the US yet.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
what do you exactly look for, to see if you have a blown shock though? i was told that if u compress it, and it doesnt come up, then its leaking or outta gas, but im not taking the shock out, so i wouldnt know.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Im not sure on that one. I had the prokit on my other car. It was a Focus and they lasted fine. They were still good when I changed over to the eibach dampers. I think if you go a 2.0 drop on the stock dampers. They will be out in no time. But since the pro kit is such a mild drop. You will be ok.

[quote author=myork link=topic=69300.msg1202468#msg1202468 date=1171300776]
Drop springs + stock shock = blown shock. Just a matter of time before all of them fail.

I would doublecheck the mazdaspeeds - I could be wrong but I dont think they were designed for a lowered suspension. Koni Yellows should definitely be OK. Or if you can get someone to import them, Bilstein makes a buttload of variants for the 3 - just not in the US yet.

[/quote]

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Mazdaspeed shocks are for sure for lowering springs, at least the Mazdaspeed springs anyways, which drop the car 1.3 inches or something like that? I am running the Mazdaspeed shocks and struts with Progress springs. No issues as of yet.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Counterfiet Tein's is an old subject that was talked about last year.

Mine are made by Tein, I got mine from Dynamic Autosports in Lake Forest there are an authorized dealer.

I actually waited 3 months to get mine.

Now if you buy from an online shop, you cant really inspect them & see if there real.

·
Registered
10,276 Posts
my h-techs are alright so far, but i got them right around the time you did, island. they still drop the front around 1.5" so i guess i should keep an eye on them.

i need some new shocks anyway, even if they aren't blown. when you get the springs at first you're all impressed at the way the car sits, how stiff they are etc. then after about a year you begin to realize that the ride really isn't all it should be and you could definitely use some initial damping.

dry cornering at 60 mph on mildly bumpy or uneven roads has been known to just make my tail hop out. kind of fun while kind of dangerous at the same time.

i don't think i'd mix up shocks too much. sets of struts are made to run together. if you had front konis, for instance, and rear mazdaspeed struts' damping might seem funky. but that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah ... I am paying more attention to the ride quality now , & it does feel more bumpy.

but it's not something that needs to be addressed right away, I can live with it for now.

By this year, I think it would be best to get the whole Koni shock set.

unless someone wants to sell there coilover's for a good price :)

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Sorry to hear that island warrior.

I replaced my shocks before the S-techs could wear them down. Don't remember exactly how many miles I got out of them before my shocks showed initial signs of wear, at least 4,000 miles.

My FSDs are holding up, and I just got a progress rear sway bar.

This weekend I used the E-brake to swing the rear end around in a cul de sac to do a U-turn. Needless to say the car felt great and U-turn was done with great confidence. hehe

(I'm abusing my RSAs though)

BTW, somebody wanted my s-techs so I sold them for $120 shipped with original box, stickers and instructions. They're on their way to Alabama right now. :) Shipping was $22 via UPS ground.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What's that best website to buy Koni shock's?

Free shipping would be nice :)

btw

I called Tein today they said "that that they tested the s-tech on oem shock's"

so , I probably had a bad RR shock from the factory.. I guess

·
Registered
108 Posts
[quote author=island warrior link=topic=69300.msg1205452#msg1205452 date=1171408150]
What's that best website to buy Koni shock's?

Free shipping would be nice :)

btw

I called Tein today they said "that that they tested the s-tech on oem shock's"

so , I probably had a bad RR shock from the factory.. I guess
[/quote]

I'm running the S-techs on stock shocks as well since about July '06. I would like to see what a stiffer shock would do for the handling and ride, but I don't think that the stock shocks are automatically doomed just because of the lowering springs.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I jacked up the car today ...

& it's comfirmed that it's blown, there some type of oil coming from the bottom of the shock...

there's enough leaking to where there's already a spot of my driveway from the oil dripping..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts