Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Might have been but who cares. It's fun to read the friendly reviews. Only thing is whenever I read one from the UK it really makes me wish the Focus ST was in the mix on this side of the Atlantic.

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
[quote author=fEArmE link=topic=66872.msg1148188#msg1148188 date=1168731232]
he said the speed3 has 29.1mpg. If that's for real, i'm sure i'll trade in my normal3 for it :D
[/quote]
they must drive on glass smooth downhill roads for that :p
however i have averaged 28 on the highway

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Seems like a less biased review and I agree with a lot of it, however in the UK, they really do like to suck on Volkswagen's d*ck. You can 'take your time' at a light with this car just like any other. The idea of a cheap Mazda beating their precious European brands really does ruffle feathers.

·
Registered
337 Posts
[quote author=fEArmE link=topic=66872.msg1148188#msg1148188 date=1168731232]
he said the speed3 has 29.1mpg. If that's for real, i'm sure i'll trade in my normal3 for it :D
[/quote]

They have a bigger gallon.

·
Registered
549 Posts
[quote author=Betelgeuse link=topic=66872.msg1148375#msg1148375 date=1168738244]
Seems like a less biased review and I agree with a lot of it, however in the UK, they really do like to suck on Volkswagen's d*ck. You can 'take your time' at a light with this car just like any other. The idea of a cheap Mazda beating their precious European brands really does ruffle feathers.
[/quote]

Thats a load of cr*p Don't put us into the dumbass category. Your idea of our perception of Mazda's is wrong. As far as VW are concerned yes there are a lot of them, but only because they have been here a lot longer than Mazda. However you get an unbiassed Brit and put a Mazda 3 and a Golf gti next to each other and say which do you think is the most expensive and I know what the answer would be.
And no we don't have glass smooth roads and yes our gallons are bigger than yours. My average mileage for a 2.0ltr Sports is approximately 30mpg (imperial) that is around 25 mpg (us), daily driving. Long distance I have acheived 36mpg(uk) 30mpg(us)

*** Rant over ****

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
That review was in no way biased...the GTi has a massive following here. He was makeing the statement that he would rather have a car that people know is fast than to have a car that is slightly faster and no one knows about. Thats what the whole article was about...started that way and then ended that way.
His opinion is his and from what ive seen the majority in the UK share it. The Golf GTi is a great car, It paved the way for our beloved MS3.

·
Registered
178 Posts
The differences between the golf and the GTI, and the MZ3 and the MS3 isn't that big. The GTI doesn't really look that much different than the golf. The reason everyone knows what a GTI is, because vw has been making it for 25 years, and the amount of hype surrounding the newest GTI has been huge. People see the GTI badge, and they know what it means. People see a mazdaspeed badge and they have no clue. Mazdaspeed models tend to stick around for one or two years at most then they disappear, so I doubt it will ever have the brand recognition that the GTI does.

Thats just fine by me, I'd rather not have to race a riced up civic every time I stop at a light, and as far as cops are concerned, it's just another mazda 3 hatch (and there are tons of those here in Ottawa!)

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
[quote author=willpower link=topic=66872.msg1148837#msg1148837 date=1168776586]
[quote author=Betelgeuse link=topic=66872.msg1148375#msg1148375 date=1168738244]
[/quote]

Thats a load of cr*p Don't put us into the dumbass category. Your idea of our perception of Mazda's is wrong. As far as VW are concerned yes there are a lot of them, but only because they have been here a lot longer than Mazda. However you get an unbiassed Brit and put a Mazda 3 and a Golf gti next to each other and say which do you think is the most expensive and I know what the answer would be.
And no we don't have glass smooth roads and yes our gallons are bigger than yours. My average mileage for a 2.0ltr Sports is approximately 30mpg (imperial) that is around 25 mpg (us), daily driving. Long distance I have acheived 36mpg(uk) 30mpg(us)

*** Rant over ****
[/quote]

I have re-read the article and realized I was a bit too quick to judgement. Also I do not (in any way) consider the people in the UK dumbasses. I understand what he's saying now in the last part and I agree, the GTI is a more recognized brand. Although with all the buzz surrounding the ms3 that might change a bit.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Wont change here...people dont even know what a mazda6 mps is and its bout around for a year or so... i called a dealership in Reading (a fairly large UK city) and they didnt even know a MPS version of the 3 was being released...they thought i was crank calling or high. The dealerships in Swindon (smaller then reading but still a city) knew about it though. Here they dont seem to care so much about how fast thier car goes as much as how comfortable the ride is, if people recognize it and what materials its made out of. Night and day from the US.

·
Registered
53 Posts
the worst part of the article is that he thinks the mazdaspeed's styling is horrible and not-flashy enough, but likes the gti's... which i think the gti is a bit bland and flat on their styling especially compared to the curves on the mazda

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
[quote author=pghspeed3 link=topic=66872.msg1149534#msg1149534 date=1168814462]
the worst part of the article is that he thinks the mazdaspeed's styling is horrible and not-flashy enough, but likes the gti's... which i think the gti is a bit bland and flat on their styling especially compared to the curves on the mazda
[/quote]

but the retro plad seats are soooo damn sporty! :p

·
Registered
228 Posts
thats the thing about car reviews. i don't like reading ones that concentrate too much on what the car looks like as that is just a matter of taste. personally, i think the gti is ugly - i hate the boxy back end. and i don't think i'd be able to live with those plad seats. i like the speed3's looks a lot better.

the other thing i thought was kind of funny about the review was how much he liked the gti for its status symbol. i mean, i don't think a lot of peole are going to see a gti on the streets and think "wow, that is a really cool car!" - its not like its a bmw or something. sure its a pretty nice car buts its not gonna make anyone look twice at it, at least in america. and its actually pretty cheap as far as new cars go. if anything it would draw scoffs from people who own serious sports cars and are looking down on wannabe owners who have to settle for a gti.

·
Registered
639 Posts
[quote author=stickyfingers link=topic=66872.msg1149634#msg1149634 date=1168820753]
thats the thing about car reviews. i don't like reading ones that concentrate too much on what the car looks like as that is just a matter of taste. personally, i think the gti is ugly - i hate the boxy back end. and i don't think i'd be able to live with those plad seats. i like the speed3's looks a lot better.

the other thing i thought was kind of funny about the review was how much he liked the gti for its status symbol. i mean, i don't think a lot of peole are going to see a gti on the streets and think "wow, that is a really cool car!" - its not like its a bmw or something. sure its a pretty nice car buts its not gonna make anyone look twice at it, at least in america. and its actually pretty cheap as far as new cars go. if anything it would draw scoffs from people who own serious sports cars and are looking down on wannabe owners who have to settle for a gti.
[/quote]

Gotta remember...different country, different, culture, different perspective. The GTi's an iconic vehicle in the UK and Europe. Think of it as their version of the Mustang.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
download the torrent for "Jeremy Clarkson's the good the bad and the ugly" or watch top gear on a regular basis, and it is true that many reviews are hugely biased. however i agree that this was a good write, glad to see hammon back in the swing of things after his accident and looking forward to the new season of TG this month

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Nice review... but he does seem to focus a bit too much on looks and reputation (which are usually reasonably low on the list when I buy a new car). I obviously care what my car looks like (and happen to really like the way MS3's look) but I'd expect a professional review to focus a bit more on the function and a bit less on the form.

Off topic: "Coulda"... I think that is the coolest Avatar icon I have ever seen. That's nuts!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts