Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read the walkthrough to retain the stock LCD, but if you read through the thread someone states you can connect the stock unit to change the time and disconnect it and as long as the the LCD is still powered it will work (time, etc.).

But - as I have seen is there is a separate harness for the LCD is later models (06 and 07). Supposedly 04 and 05 (I have an 05) the harness connects to the stock head unit.

I am gonna give it a try - that is - to perform what I stated above in an 05. I figured all the LCD harness needs is power and ground. If I succeed, I will create a walk through. I really don't see the point in keeping the whole stock head unit if alls you want is the display - most after market systems have steering wheel control converters and all.

Let me know if anyone is interested or has even peformed this - then I will make up my mind on a walkthrough.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
I hate to break it to you, but in an 04-05 it won't work...the clock controller chip isn't in the display itself, it's actually in the car's computer. You'll need to feed the display more than just power and ground; you'll need to provide it with a CAN bus connection. Even on the 06-07s, you can't just feed the display power and ground; the display also talks to the car computer.

If you were *really* adventurous, you might be able to strip the factory HU down to the point where it's just the main PCB, taking CAN bus signal in and feeding it out to the display. But personally, I wouldn't bother; if I were you I'd just use the clock on your aftermarket HU and spend the time/money fabbing up a new dash strip without the LCD opening.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are 100% sure this is the case?

I am adventurous - stripped the entire thing down and have a plan of attack. I have the front circuit board (for buttons, lcd harness, etc.) and the main board left - going to wire those together and tap off the main harness for supplies and put the two boards somewhere in my car. Also plan on extending the CLOCK and SET buttons hidden away, but reachable to change the time.

Do you have any idea of an exlosure I can put the circuit boards in? I have pics if you would like to see how I plan on connecting the two together.

Eric

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
I'm very sure that's the case. I've stripped down the LCD in my own efforts to actually disable the clock while retaining the ambient temp display. There are no clock controller chips in the LCD, just a CAN bus controller. If you want to keep trying with your idea, go right ahead, but just keep in mind that if you splice the wrong two wires together, you could fry your engine computer.

·
Registered
14,388 Posts
I know two guys who did it in the NJ forum. Though neither of them are hardly on anymore. Post a question in the nj chat thread, you may find the person.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did exactly what I plan to do? I have it stripped down to the circuit boards. Have no idea if there is something I can put them in or stick them somewhere - I am thinking behind the glove box - there is room and shorter wires. I bought the wire and buttons today - not sure I am gonna get to it or not.

- OR -

Burned out the engine computer?

·
Registered
14,388 Posts
Well, I know guys who have retained the LCD. One put the stock radio in the trunk and ran it up, and I'm not sure where the other one put it.

How far are you from N Jersey?

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Syracuse, NY.

Here is an image of what I have - it's the main circuit board with the face (buttons, knobs) circuit board. They fit together with two connectors. I plan on wiring the connectors together and placing one board on top of other. Wire the power, ground, illumination - maybe some of the other signals to the main harness. Extend the LCD wire harness and extend two buttons tied to CLOCK and SET so I can set the time. Then put it in a box and hide it somewhere in the car.

Here is a snapshot of the two pieces I am referring to...

·
Registered
14,388 Posts
ahh the guys that did it here kept the whole radio and just seperated the LCD piece. Hid the rest of the radio in the trunk. I think salutetome is one of the guys who did that in central jersey.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You think this will work? The only thing I am worried about is any form of I2C communication. Longer wires can ruin that. It's still the main stock head unit cept gutted :).

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update - I wired everything from the front circuit board with the buttons, etc. and connected it all together - got nothing but smoke from an OEM-2 module that I have connected for my after market. I reconnected my after market and it still works. I think I am going to rebuild the stock head unit and put it in the trunk - idk what I was thinking. I am also thinking I can still run wires from the buttons to new buttons up front to change the time maybe even use buttons to control the 6 cd changer as an aux input to the after market. I hope everything works when I get it back together.

If worse comes to worse I will just buy a new stock head unit - eh.

Thanks for all the feedback.

·
Registered
14,388 Posts
Damn, that sux. how much are the stock radios? maybe you get get one from someone on the board. I have one I may part with since I can put in my older aftermarket radio if I ever sell it...

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I found one on ebay but it came from ebay - not looking for a brand new one or anything - just don't want to put mine back together. I guess I could sell it for parts (i.e. 6 cd changer). The one on ebay came from a hatchback - I have a sedan. I imagine there is no difference - it's Bose too. Anyone agree this will work?

·
Registered
14,388 Posts
Yeah, no difference there. Look for other peeps how have done the relocation, I know there are posts around here.

Good luck!

·
Registered
419 Posts
I buy broken radios! that is if you fried yours.

And, soon we will have a kit available to retain your factory display! probably by next summer. 06 radios may be sooner.

Zc 8)

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
i would be interested in this kit, being as i have an 06, about how much will it cost

·
Registered
203 Posts
I hate the LCD, why did they have to do that? And I have auto climate so that makes it even worse. Now i have to keep the lcd. Good luck to you dude, if you get it working.

·
Registered
419 Posts
[quote author=mamock116 link=topic=65622.msg1127460#msg1127460 date=1167601620]
i would be interested in this kit, being as i have an 06, about how much will it cost
[/quote]

Unknown at this time. probably sub $100.00 range but we havent event started work on that project yet.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts