Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been searching for a second vehicle. Something to be a toy for weekend fun or maybe cross-country driving. Over the weekend, I was playing with numbers on a dealer's website and (for grins) wanted to see what kind of trade I could get for my MZ3. Don't worry, they can have my MZ3 when they can pry it from my cold, dead, hands.

2006, MZ3 Hatchback, 5-speed automatic, 180K miles. Condition: Rough

Trade-In Value: $355

Hell naw. That little car is worth its weight in gold to me :grin2:

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I'll never understand why people trade in vehicles instead of just selling it themselves. Selling a car is super simple, what with the advent of Craigslist and Facebook marketplace.

In the last 3 years, I've sold 2 cars, for cash, all of which I got a fair price for, and were gone in under a week.

·
Super Moderator
1,207 Posts
I'll never understand why people trade in vehicles instead of just selling it themselves. Selling a car is super simple, what with the advent of Craigslist and Facebook marketplace.

In the last 3 years, I've sold 2 cars, for cash, all of which I got a fair price for, and were gone in under a week.
Depending upon the state where you live, the tax laws make it quite advantageous to trade in. Why? In some states, the trade in value of the car is subtracted from the value of the new car before sales tax is calculated. Given the delta between what you can sell a car for and what you get for the same car in trade in value plus the sales tax savings can be pretty small, it makes complete sense to trade in.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Car sales tax in my state is capped at $300. You can buy a $3,000 Civic, and the sales tax is $300. You can buy a $1,000,000 Veyron, and the sales tax is $300.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Sometimes, it's more advantageous to take the hit on a trade because of the tire kickers, low-ballers, and general weirdos who respond to ads on Craigslist. I'm not on Facebook, so I can't comment on what the Marketplace is like.

·
Super Moderator
1,207 Posts
Car sales tax in my state is capped at $300. You can buy a $3,000 Civic, and the sales tax is $300. You can buy a $1,000,000 Veyron, and the sales tax is $300.
Then you live in a highly unusual state; maybe it makes sense in places like South Carolina, or even here in New Hamster (no sales tax at all), but even then, it is a definite maybe. We traded my wife's GTI in on her Mazda3 and easily got 95% of what we would have gotten from a Craig's List ad; definitely not worth taking time out of our busy schedules to screw around with wishy-washy buyers.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts

It highly depends on the situation. For instance, in my area if you are selling a newer car and asking over $15K it's going to take some time to sell where as a $3K car will sell much faster. There is also the situation where the car looks nice but it's money pit and needs a lot of work, like it's using 1qt oil every 1K miles, needs cats, etc. where it's better to just dump it as a trade where they won't ask questions rather than having to describe these defects in an ad only to get lowballed on your already lowered price because of them or lying through your teeth and hoping the buyer doesn't take you to court when he figures out he's been had.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have sold quite a few cars on craigslist, marketplace. I have a method that I use that has worked for me. If someone wants to look at the car I am selling I make sure that I specify time and location. In the add I tell them that I will wait X amount of minutes (usually 10) after the meeting time and if they are not there I scoot. It's my time they are wasting. This weeds out the tire kicking weirdos out there. It's amazing how many people say "I want to take a look" and then never do. What's nice about facebook marketplace is it has a review section now. You can say how "un-reliable or reliable" the person was. Kind of fun. I've had someone get mad because I reviewed them. I put a screen-shot of the conversation up so the admin could see what this douche canoe was doing. Got em booted out of the marketplace. It's a sellers market for autos every day. Location is not a limiting factor that much. All depends on where you try to reach.

·
Super Moderator
1,207 Posts
I have sold quite a few cars on craigslist, marketplace. I have a method that I use that has worked for me. If someone wants to look at the car I am selling I make sure that I specify time and location. In the add I tell them that I will wait X amount of minutes (usually 10) after the meeting time and if they are not there I scoot. It's my time they are wasting. This weeds out the tire kicking weirdos out there. It's amazing how many people say "I want to take a look" and then never do. What's nice about facebook marketplace is it has a review section now. You can say how "un-reliable or reliable" the person was. Kind of fun. I've had someone get mad because I reviewed them. I put a screen-shot of the conversation up so the admin could see what this douche canoe was doing. Got em booted out of the marketplace. It's a sellers market for autos every day. Location is not a limiting factor that much. All depends on where you try to reach.
Many of us don't even have that much for mucking about trying to sell a car.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts