Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All!!

Need some advice... i'm planning to get a fully loaded Mazda3 HB within the next month. However, I will need to sell it by the end of june 2005. Any idea how much i can get for it? Any alternatives out there?

Thanks a lot!!

·
Registered
234 Posts
agree with funky. why buy when u know u should sell it within a yr, take the public transit will be cheaper than u have a car.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Buy a three year-old used car - something Japanese...but only if you really need one.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Buying a MZ3 and keeping it for 1 yr would be a huge waste of money.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thx for the comments... so how much u think i can sell the car for by July05?

·
Registered
420 Posts
You apparently have more $ than brains; but to answer your question, cars depreciate between $2 -$4k when you drive them off the lot, then add another year and a half of depreciation. If you can't find any takers next year, look me up, I'll give you $100 for it! :lol:

·
Registered
256 Posts
You could go to cars.com and look up the residual values used for determining leases, but those are not 100% accurate and I doubt are any shorter than 24 months, but it might give you an idea. I remember the HB is pretty damn good, and significantly higher than that of the sedan.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
EnFuego138 said:
You could go to cars.com and look up the residual values used for determining leases, but those are not 100% accurate and I doubt are any shorter than 24 months, but it might give you an idea. I remember the HB is pretty damn good, and significantly higher than that of the sedan.

Thanks for the constructive advice!

·
Registered
147 Posts
I agree with most people. The first year is when the car will depreciate the most. Considering that you pay tax for your car and you don't make that back when you sell it, I would say you would lose about $2000 to $4000. Not worth it for a years transportation IMO, but of course this is your choice.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Dru212702 said:
what about longer term. like 5 years? I'm contemplating whether I should keep my current car or not.
My crystal ball says!.......... :huh:

How is anyone to know the resale value years in advance? There are too many unknown variables.

·
Registered
155 Posts
just a ball park figure, assuming it does better than previous mazdas...for example what was the resale value for like 5 year old protege's in Toronto Dinu? average of 20 000 km / year

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Dru212702 said:
just a ball park figure, assuming it does better than previous mazdas...for example what was the resale value for like 5 year old protege's in Toronto Dinu? average of 20 000 km / year
A 5-yr old Protege would be 1999. Since 2001, Proteges have held their ground in relase - became more popular in Canada. Therefore, using a 1999 or 2000 model would not be advised due to the limited demand for those. Also, in 2001, the PRO received a new engine, more standard features, larger tires, a new interior in the ES/P5, etc...

All I know is that my 2001 ES can be listed for 13000-14000 on Auto Trader. My out the door price was 24192 after taxes, interest (@2.9%*48mths), dealer fees. It's the ES w/A/C + spoiler + AT (not happy about spending $1000 on that).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts