Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm about to buy a second-hand 2007 mazda 3 2.0L (put in service 30 april 2007). It has 42000 km (26000 miles).

I don't have a service record for the car (buying it from a dealer not the previous owner. it was a 2 year lease). I called the mazda dealer close to where the guy lived and they don't have service records, only a gear replacement on the manual transmission. the service was probably done closer to where the guy lived, at a local garage.

basically the only mintenance I see that's required is to change the oil every 5000 miles, the rest is all inspection. the car looks ok and I didn't detect any problems in the test drive, and I'm planning on doing a thorough inspection after I buy it, but I'm a bit nervous about the warranty.

I called mazda canada and they don't have a central database for the maintenance done (and they wouldn't know anyway if the service wasn't done at a mazda dealer). they said the warranty could be voided if damage is caused by lack of service (and they could ask for service record which I don't have)

is there anything I should be worried about? any maintenance that should have been done that might not have been? anything specific to look for? if the car was older I wouldn't care but it still has 1 year of general warranty left and 3 years powertrain.

·
Registered
13,729 Posts
[quote author=victor_t link=topic=138428.msg2982961#msg2982961 date=1236605336]
I'm planning on doing a thorough inspection after I buy it.[/quote]

I would have an inspection done prior to purchase. Don't wait until after.

Also, so long as you maintain the car you should be fine. I you do the work yourself, keep receipts from the items you purchased.

·
Registered
879 Posts
i just bought an 07 s HB also 1st in service in 4/07 but with 20K miles.

i just took it to the dealer, and they did a Mazda Full Circle inspection. Checked brakes, fluids, suspension, etc..

Came out great. Helps the seller also had all his service work too.

Get your car checked out PRIOR to buying... never after.

Does Carfax work in Canada??? Sometimes it will show service records too.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
carfax/carproof doesn't show anything for maintenance

I called a dealer next to where the car was registered and they only have one record for the car, apparently they changed a gear in the manual transmission.

can this be due to a manufacturing error? is it something that happens often? is there any reason other than abuse for this to happen, and how serious should I take it? the test drive did not reveal any problems.

also, when they do an inspection, how much do they inspect for the motor and transmission? I guess they don't open up the tranny or motor...

·
Registered
13,729 Posts
I would take the car to an independent mechanic for the inspection. Don't let the dealer handle it. Call around to some local shops and get pricing from them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the dealer will make an appointment to have the car inspected at a CAA inspection center.
The delaer is handling it, but the CAA (canadian auto association, the canadian AAA) is an independent group. It's where I wanted to have it inspected anyway, I don't think they would do any "deals" with a dealer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts