Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first posting on this forum :D

Just waiting to take delivery of my new GT-GFX sedan. I'll get Protegé 16" alloys for winter tires.

But the RS-A on the 17", what is this !!!

I have T1-S on my Miata and love them, not willing to pay that kind of money for the 3 though.

I was thinking ES100 or ZE-512 in 205/50 ... any recommandation ?

Regards,

Yanick

·
Registered
111 Posts
I've heard lots of good things in the ZE-512's and will be getting a set myself. I've driven a car before and after the swap and the diffence blew me away.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On what car, which tires before ?

I am looking for a plush ride, kind of more touring T1-S.

Regards,

Yanick

·
Registered
111 Posts
yanick_viens said:
On what car, which tires before ?
It was on an RSX type S. I think they were Michelins, but not Pilots.

The Falkens are high performance tires, so they may not be as plush as you'd like.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think that the ZE-512 are more in between performance and touring, a bit like the T1-S. It is not an all performance oriented tire like the Falken Azenis, the Bridgestone SO-3 or the Goodyear F1.

The T1-S is an exceptionnal tire, superb ride with a lot of grip and very good transient close to the limit. My guess, from readings, is that the ZE-512 may be molded about the same, cheaper of course.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
T1-S... best tire for all around performance.

·
Registered
86 Posts
vaBooM said:
T1-S... best tire for all around performance.
That is if you do not mind the noise.

I have owned 3 sets of Toyo T-1s. All got very noisey after awhile. Good tire but.. but Dunlops SP9000 are a bit better in the rain and are much easier to live with. The Dunlops don't quite match the dry grip of the S-03, the F1, or the T-1s. Also the T-1s will flat spot over night when its cold. The Dunlops don't do that, they also wear longer. It was not without reason that Mazda chose the SP9000 as the factory fitment on the Protege MP3.

I will probaby replace the Factory Toyo Proxes on my 3s with Dunlops when the time comes.

A plus for the both Toyos and the Dunlops is their light weight and great ride.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
I hear good things about the 9000s.

Also another good performer is the Yokohama AVS dBS2. Some say its has problems in the snow, but a buddy of mine has them on his GTI.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
SP9000 are about as expensive as the T1-S, would like to pay a bit less.

Of course if that means throwing money into the garbages, I will spend the extra $ but there's for sure some good shoes at fair price out there.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I was quoted CND$163 for the Falkens but only about $70 to trade in my old RS-A's. Try to get it worked into the price of the car at the dealership. They might be able to just not order the RS-A's and get some better tires from day-one.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wonder why Mazda went with the RS-A on the 3, I mean, there's maybe few poeple out there how have had positive experience with the RS-A but hey ! most seem to want to garbage them !

What is the cost associated with putting good rubbers on for a manufaturer like Mazda ? 50 $ for the set ? come on !!!

Should we complain ? Are they simply going with the lowest bid ?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Since they cut corners getting the cheapest ass tires possible, I wonder what else they cut corners on? I guess we'll find out in 3 years when the warranties run out. lol

·
Registered
427 Posts
But they didn't go with the cheapest tire possible. The Goodyear Eagle RS-A's sell for around $550-$600 a set. I'm sure Mazda got a much better deal on them though. They could have gone with a cheap OEM-only tire if they were really cutting corners.

As I have noted in other threads in this forum, the RS-A is a very average tire, nothing to write home about. As far as 17" performance tires go for aggressive driving, or for driving on a lot of snow or ice, you will be disappointed. But as far as stock tires go on sub-$20K cars, these are amongst the best you will find.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am doomed, here's the reply I received when asking Falken for availability... wonder why some sites have them ?

Yanick,

The listing that showed the 205/50R17 size would be produced in the ZE-512 line was in error. The manufacturer dropped this size from the production schedule and it will not be offered.

Conal O'Neill
Customer Service Manager

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Then go 215/45/17 or 215/50/17.

the 215/50 may be a tad higher, but you get a wider tire.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I was told the 215/45R17 won't fit because there isn't as much flex in the sidewall do to its lack of height to fit correctly on the thinner rim. I've been told you need to go with 215/50R17. I'm getting some put on today so I'll let you know how they work out.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I looked at the 215/50/17 ZE-512 specifications and it fits with the oem 205/50/17 RS-A :wink:

205/50/17 RS-A:
sect width: 8.4
tread width: 7.3
over diam: 25.4

215/50/17 ZE-512:
sect width: 8.6
tread width: 7.2
over diam: 25.4

Someone give them a try yet on a GT ?

Yanick

1 - 20 of 23 Posts