Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if I would need additional parts such as a different wire harness, if I were to replace my H/U that does not have MP3 nor trip computer with one that it MP3 and does have Trip computer.

If any one has any info on this subject it would be much appreciated

Thanks

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
What year and model is your car? And what year is the headunit you are looking at?

While you may be able to swap an 06 or 07 headunit into an 04-05 car, the trip computer function wont work, and there may be wiring differences.

Same goes for an 06 to 07 or vice versa - the units and wiring may be different, so they may not be interchangeable without some modification.

If it is a HU from the same model year as your car - it's most likely a direct swap.

I am sure you can swap an mp3 headunit into your car - but there may be wiring modifications necessary to make it work.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
892 Posts
Seems all '06+ HU's have the trip function available, it just needs to be unlocked in some cases.

·
Registered
15,654 Posts
'07 HU to '07 car is a simple swap. There aren't any wiring differences between the Mp3 changer and the regular single/non-Mp3 changer. Pull the HU (using one of the many walkthroughs available on the forum) and unplug the main harness, the LCD harness, and the antenna. Then reinstall the new one in the reverse order.

Also you know that you can turn on the DIS feature on your HU and don't have to buy a specific one for that, right? Not that that's all you're buying the new one for, but you understand. :D

·
Registered
15,654 Posts
[quote author=antmalave2007 link=topic=71119.msg1250246#msg1250246 date=1173133788]
Thanks guys

ICSPOT, sorry dude I am not sure what you ment by the DIS feature. Can you please elaborate?
[/quote]

DIS is the Driver Information System. Otherwise known as the trip, or gas mileage computer. ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts