Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 6 months ago, my car started sounding like a weed whacker whenever I accelerated. I took it to a muffler shop and they diagnosed the problem as "a metal baffle inside the muffler has broken loose and is rattling around." They took me under the car and showed me the problem, but they aren't able to order order a replacement. They suggested I look online.

I called the Mazda dealership and they quoted me 600 bucks just for the muffler. Seems like a ridiculously high price when I'd have to pay for labor on top of that.

So, I need a replacement muffler for my car that will pass smog tests in California. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
320 Posts
You didn't mention if your current one is an OEM, so I'm going to assume that it is. In that case, try a different muffler shop - Any of the big names (Midas comes to mind) should be able to order one.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Any muffler will pass smog tests. Do want to keep it really quiet or go with something that will flow a little better?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Yikes...$600 for an OEM muffler is highway robbery.

Just go to a shop & have them put a magnaflow on there or something like that. Going that route shouldn't cost more than about $150.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
dynomax super turbo no rice

·
Registered
930 Posts
Not much vehicle info, but probably being a PZEV, could just replace the muffler with straight pipe, if its the rear muffler. Otherwise, as the others have said, a decent aftermarket for around $100 or less probably.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the replies!

Midas quoted the same 600 dollar price that the dealership did, sputtering something about the need for a "proper amount of exhaust pressure pushing back on the engine." I think my flux capacitor also needs recalibrating :)

I'm going to call another muffler shop and ask for a straight pipe.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Check that, I've heard some of the straight pipe sound clips on Youtube. I think I'll get a replacement muffler. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
10,693 Posts
just have them cut out the old one and weld an OEM replacement in (or go with a good brand name if you want some more sound), should cost you around $150 like mentioned earlier.

·
Registered
930 Posts
My straight pipe was around $96. The pipe itself wasn't more than $20 but I went with a largely overpriced tip. I might throw a muffler on with a large tip for beefier looks but the sound is great for what you spend. Could go much cheaper with a generic tip or ebay tip.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts