Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son's Mazda 3 head unit has stopped working through the aux port, so he is unable to plugin his iphone and listen to music. Added to that, it would be a safety upgrade for him to have bluetooth.

Any suggestions on a replacement head unit which would work? I see plenty on ebay with a gazillion functions, but who knows about them, if someone has first hand experience with any of them that would be very helpful.

Bear in mind this is a 2013 Mazda 3 with 90k miles on it, so a $2000 head unit is not going to make sense.

· Registered
1,585 Posts
I've been down the road of the "Pure Android" stereos. They're junk, all of them. Do yourself a huge favor, and stick with a name brand that you're familiar with: Kenwood, Alpine, Pioneer, Sony, JVC, Clarion.

Crutchfield has tremendous service after the sale, so I always recommend them. Sure, you may find a similar unit $10 cheaper somewhere else, but if you need support, be it with the installation, or something else later on down the road, are they going to be there for you? I bet not.

On a tight budget, the $99 Kenwood BT232 can't be beat.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, that's what I needed to hear.

But how would units like the Kenwood which appear to have the old standard squarish format, fit in the custom shaped "hole" of the Mazda?

· Registered
1,585 Posts
Crutchfield will give you the appropriate dash kit that lets the radio fit and look just fine. You can also opt to get an interface jack that allows you to keep your steering wheel controls fully functional. That's a roughly $50 option, don't know if you care about that or not. For me, once you get used to steering wheel controls, there's no going back!

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the good advice theblooms. My son's car doesn't have bluetooth, so the only steering wheel controls are for mode and volume, but what the heck it's still a cheap deal and i don't know how much he values his steering wheel controls so I'd better get it. Adding bluetooth is a good deal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts