Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The rubber on my car's antenna has been breaking down.

I was thinking of changing it to a shark fin style unless this short version would be a better option.

Going with the short version doesn't correct the problem with the rubber at the base, which is still breaking down.

·
Banned
771 Posts
Be aware that some "short" antenna's may not be able to keep the same reception as longer units. You seldom know until you actually try them as many never give the specifications.
If the rubber has not become totally brittle by applying "leather Treatment" may reduce the continue deterioration.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
I put an antenna whip from an Acura RSX on my old 2005 6, which nicely shortened up the stock buggy whip. I'm pretty sure you can replace the base with a sharkfin, but don't quote me on that.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Be aware that some "short" antenna's may not be able to keep the same reception as longer units. You seldom know until you actually try them as many never give the specifications.
If the rubber has not become totally brittle by applying "leather Treatment" may reduce the continue deterioration.
The rubber at the base looks OK, but the rubber on the antenna itself is beyond shot.

I put an antenna whip from an Acura RSX on my old 2005 6, which nicely shortened up the stock buggy whip. I'm pretty sure you can replace the base with a sharkfin, but don't quote me on that.
Thanks for the info.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts