Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey Guys,

Decided to remove the passenger side door molding today as my car sat in the sun. Really like the look without the molding on these cars, however, it appears that my car has had some paint fade as its still very clear where the molding was put on the car. I used some goo gone, and then partially washed with dawn soap. Is this something that would buff out with a clay bar / polish? Or do you think this would require a repaint to completely hide?

The paint on this car has probably not been taken care of over the years, and since I just got it, I haven't polished or waxed it yet myself.

I'm contemplating repainting the side molding and putting it back on, or just leaving it off and trying to polish this out. Any advice? What would you do if this was your 3?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
You'd have to cut pretty deep to get that to match, and there isn't a whole lot of paint to spare on these cars.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I e-mailed a couple auto detailing shops in my area to get their opinion on whether it will buff out or not. It is much less noticeable when not in direct sunlight and when the reflections are "busier", but still noticeable. I would assume the same sun fading would be on the rest of the car aswell, if I was to remove the 2.3 and 3 badges.

Is it possible the unfaded parts of paint that have been covered, will start to fade at a faster rate and overtime blend to the rest of the car?

If its considered sacrilege to drive around with the paint faded like this I'll put the molding back on.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm one of those "driveway detailers" that's been at this for several years, and if I may offer some advice, I'd say to go ahead and wash the entire car with the Dawn dish soap to remove whatever wax or polish has been applied. Next, break out that clay and do a good thorough clay job over the entire car; you'll be truly amazed at how much crud gets pulled off that body!
- Then get out your Porter Cable 7424 DA polisher and your Meguiars compound polish and go after that paint once more.
-Follow the compound with a polish. **A personal favorite of mine for polishing and fine "cutting" is Klasse All in One acrylic polish. A little goes a long way, and best of all, it can be used over plastic trim without leaving any white haze!!
Lastly, slap some wax on that bad boy, again, my favorite is the Klasse, but P21s is great, or you probably have your own fav!
You may find that the darker paint is less noticeable when the whole car is detailed in total.
One final item that I have loved to use is the Meguiars synthetic Xpress detailer; it, too can be applied over ALL surfaces, even glass and gives a nice shine between wax jobs!
Hope this helps! ( Don't forget to clean that engine bay, too! )

1 - 4 of 4 Posts