Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
k so i just got subs and an amp and everything for FREE from a family member...i want to wire them up to the stock head unit because i don't have the money to be going out and buying a new one, especially since i would want a dvd player one. So the question is...is there a remote wire on the back of the Mazda3i headunit or am i going to have to buy a converter box? i read in another post that it should have RF outputs but i don't want to rip apart my dash to have to put it all back together again for nothing. Some help would be nice...thanks.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
just tap an acc wire. i forget the colors off the top of my head.

·
Registered
103 Posts
The factory head unit does not come with RF outputs. If your amp comes with a speaker level in, then just get a plug (if it didn't come with the amp, call some audio shops, they usually don't use them and probably have one sitting around somewhere you can get for little to nothing..) Amps with a speaker level in have a built in converter that will change the signal to whatever the amp will be using to power the sub.

If you don't want to go that route, the other option is a LOC...Line Output Converter. It does the same thing essentially, you tap into your speaker wires and it converts a signal you can hook RCA jacks to the amp on.

If your amp has a speaker level in, most likely it has a signal sensing turn on... That means you won't need to find a remote wire, the amp will automatically turn on (gets power signal from the speaker wires.) If you go with the LOC, you'll have to run a remote. My suggestion for this is (if) your model 3 has the car charger port in the arm rest, tap into the power wire for there. Saves you from having to tear apart the dash.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK thanks for the help i ended up buying a LOC and i do have the charger in the center console armrest so i think i am going to wire it in there. Thanks for all the help

1 - 7 of 7 Posts