Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 Mazda3. The door remote that cams with it broke. The plastic cracked where it attaches to the key ring and it fell off.

In no way was it ever abused. I took it to the local dealer and they said this was wear and tear and not a defect so it wouldn't be covered by warranty.

I also had them look at the gas cap where the little tab holds it on to the car; which broke off. They also said this was wear and tear and not covered.

I called MazdaUSA customer service and complained and they sent me a $100 gift card to cover the repairs.

Is it normal for dealers to classify these type of product failures as wear and tear rather than admitting they are caused by defective parts?

·
Registered
16,618 Posts
I really think it depends on the individuals judgment at whatever service department you go to. Some may see it as a defect, some may see it was a wear item. It is odd that that portion of they key fob broke. They're usually pretty durable. I doubt it's defective as if it were, people would be posting their complaints on this forum. I don't recall seeing any.

Obviously Mazda thought it was best to compensate you for these low cost items as a way to maintain brand loyalty. IMO, it's pretty cool that they did.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I should add, the fob is 2 halved. Within a week of purchase half the fob hole plastic broke off, so obviously defective. The thin remaining half lasted over a year then gave way.

It wasn't abused. I formerly had a 2005 Mazda3 with same type fob that resided on my keychain for 2 years until the car was totalled in a rear end collision. That fob was fine.

·
Registered
33 Posts
[quote author=danielj link=topic=136228.msg2935089#msg2935089 date=1234558636]
I doubt it's defective as if it were, people would be posting their complaints on this forum. I don't recall seeing any.
[/quote]

Uhm....there can be individual defective items in a lot y'know.

:p

·
Registered
12 Posts
[quote author=danielj link=topic=136228.msg2935089#msg2935089 date=1234558636]
I doubt it's defective as if it were, people would be posting their complaints on this forum. I don't recall seeing any.
[/quote]

Here's another one... Mine broke the same way. I had to switch to the spare to keep from using the busted one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts