Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any Idea where we can get a good Remote Car Starter for Mazda3

Is this a good idea to install one ? am I bypassing the immobilizer safety system

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
I've read a little about them. If you get an automatic it's ok, but don't bother with an mtx b/c it's not a good idea. I would love one of these suckers, and the ones I look at usually have the alarm in them-and sometimes the alarm will even let you know how your car is doing-whether the alarm is going off, etc.

·
Registered
36 Posts
That's interesting, as the last page of the Mz3 brochure lists "Security system/remote start" as available on all 3's as a dealer option.

I always wonder how this works with the engine immobilizer & manual trans.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Hi,
I'm shopping to get a remote car starter. My MZ3 is manual. For that I have to order a new car key that has a computer chip, so the guy will use it to install my remote. Costs (can$)? new key = 50.$ + 250.$ (install and external starter) = 300.$. There is also a 50.$ extra if I want every fonction to work on my actual door delocker.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I have a remote start installed on my Dakota, and plan on getting one on the M3 as soon as the crank time issue gets resolved. If anybody in the Orlando are is interested in getting a remote start or a regular alarm I know an excelent guy.
First Post--Proud owner of a Lava Orage 5 door
(first one sold at the dealership!)

·
Registered
245 Posts
Remote start seems like a cool feature, but thats about it, the "cool factor" of being able to walk to your car through the parking lot and have it start while you walk up to it. I'd never use it to remotely start it in the morning and let it idle or anything because a lot of cars have been getting stolen in the metro Seattle area doing that. So if it wasn't too pricey for the dealer to install including labor, I'd pay a little more for the added cool factor.

·
Registered
314 Posts
That is untrue. Even with manual transmission, you can install a remote starter. However, you will need one that is designed for a manual transmission car. The car needs to be on Neutral and the hand brake on before the system can be activated. And you have to manually activate the system before leaving the car. As for the alarm, since the stock immobilization system is chip based, they will have to completely bypass the stock system. I was told by my dealer that it is possible and if they ask for a key to bypass the system, they are doing it wrong. Some places will ask you for a key, they will cut the key and leave the chip part in your dash, so the car can be started remotely.

·
Registered
374 Posts
As for cars being stolen. My remote start doesn't open the door locks until I open them with the button. Once inside the car unless you put the key in the ignition and turn it on the engine cuts off as soon as you step on the brake.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I figured the doors would stay locked, but didn't think about it requiring your key, thats a good protective measure.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Meh, I have a garage and that 10-20 seconds of run time before I walk up to the car in a parking lot are pretty much moot. It's a nice feature for some but I couldn't be bothered really.

·
Registered
10 Posts
engine immobilizer

Actually, you can get it and pay $30 for a immobilizerbypass module.

Fobby_Monkey said:
I was told you can't install one because of the engine immobilizer...

·
Registered
213 Posts
I have a automatic 3 and had a remote start put on, so it is possible! They had to use a key to bypass the immobilizer though. If you step on the brake w/o a key in the ignition, the engine shuts off, so it is pretty fail-safe.

It is really really convenient, especially in the extreme Texas heat. If you have the money, I highly recommend it!

·
Registered
64 Posts
The remote start came with the alarm I bought. It's pretty damn useful, specially for those cold morning, where you don't wanna go outside yet. Or even when it's really hot, just leave your car off, but with the ac on , and if you remote start it for a while, by the time you get to your car from the parking lot, it'll be nice and cool inside. The transponder bypass kit is about $19-25. So it's not that expensive to get it on the car.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts