Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm posting this in the Mid-Atlantic section too but since y'all are such good folks I thoght you could share some comments with me.
I ran into a problem with the dealership I bought the car from. I was wondering what everybody's thought was on this...

I live in MD
I bought my Speed3 from a dealership in DE on Sat. 01/13/07

I traded in my 06 Mazda3 5-door for a Speed3; I decided it would be better to transfer the tags rather than get new ones. The salesman agreed and said they could do it. They didn't charge for new tags ($128 in MD) and I drove off my MS3 with a 60-day DE temp tag installed and my old MD tags in the trunk.

According to the dealer it had to be done this way because I couldn't install the MD tags until the MVA put the transfer through. Made sense to me. Before I left the dealer I called my insurance company and told them I traded my 06 and I took it out of my policy and added the speed3.
I signed off the MD title and handed it over.

Today, 6 weeks later after I asked them what's going on they told me they got new tags because the MVA didn't "accept" the transfer and they absorbed the cost of the new tags.

Complete BS or not? Has anyone ran into this problem?
Technically I think I'm in deep s*** because I've kept my 06 Mazda3 without insurance since the MVA wasn't notified that it was traded.
I'll go talk to the MVA ASAP but I was wondering what you all thought about this.

Thanks!

PS: Back in June 2006 when I renewed my license I asked the the MVA rep if I could bring all the paperowork in register the car myself and told her I'd be buying it out of state. She said it couldn't be done, the dealership had to take care of it.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I'm not sure about specific state laws when it comes to vehicle registration and licensing. But I know up here in Washington when my husband traded in his car for his Charger R/T he had to go online to our Department of Motor Vehicle Licensing and fill out a form stating the car was no longer in his posession due to a trade-in/sale. I had to do that recently also when I sold my old car.

Up here you have a time limit on when to get that done, and I think you can get into trouble if it's not done within that time limit. But every state's laws vary. In Nevada, you had to register your car on your own when you bought one, the dealership didn't do it for you, at least it use to be that way.

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
leofaye, that sucks man.

Like neonix said, it varies in different places. However, as far as you know, if the dealership is to handle the process and it didn't go through, wouldn't it be their fault?

Id say any rule/law breaking is their fault and they should cover any damages incurred?

Im not sure what you mean by you saying you kept your 06 mazda3 without insurance. I thought you traded it in?

Sorry that I am a bit confused cause of the different laws, etc etc. Trading in cars is seemless in Nova Scotia.
There is a few days grace period for your license plate, or you can get a temp for 30/60 days i think.
When my gf traded in her integra for her rsx, the only EXTRA work she had to do was go to the DMV (similiar to your mva) and say here are my papers, this is my plate, and i bought a new car. bill of sale, and new car vin/proof of purchase or whatever.

Oh and she called her insurance the DAY of the trade or one day before, and they took care of it and insured her new car when she switched it over. Didn't need papers, but they still fedex it next day to you. so there is some grace period here.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts