Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The driver's side door won't open from inside today so I brought it in to Mazda to get it checked out. While I was there I thought if they can just install the fogs that I bought for me would be nice, so I asked them how much to get it installed. Once they saw the aftermarket fogs that I had the guy wasn't too happy and said the aftermarket ones would cost $220 for installation because that's three hours of labour. So I said, I know the wiring harness is already pre-wired and they can just remove the bumper, put in the fogs, put in the switch, then put the bumper back on. It should be like an hour job for them since they're suppose to be the "professionals". And the guy said, well, since the kit is aftermarket, it won't be plug and play. And the fog switch is different, it's not on the lever by the steering wheel so it take longer to get it installed.

Well, here's my opinion...
How the HELL would it not be plug and play if the harness are pre-wired? It's so simple, it's only positive / negative. The socket on the bulbs are the same as long as it's H11, how in the world can the harness not fit? So what if the pre-wired relay line for the fog is in the steering wheel? Can't they just tap into the line? They gotta have some kind of service manual that tells them what wire it'd be.

"Aftermarket fogs might not work with the pre-wired harness" is my favorite so far. Even if the sockets don't fit, one can always do the wiring easily.

Oh well, I think I'll do it myself, I just don't have a garage and it's too damn cold outside to do anything outside. I guess I have to wait so that I can save $220.

·
Registered
35,160 Posts
it IS about 2-3 hours of work if you've never taken the bumper apart.

feeding wires throught he firewall can also be aggrivating.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
[quote author=blam link=topic=69342.msg1203114#msg1203114 date=1171320865]
it IS about 2-3 hours of work if you've never taken the bumper apart.

feeding wires throught he firewall can also be aggrivating.
[/quote]

I plan on using the pre-wired harness so I'll just be working on the both ends. Which is only the harness to the HID ballasts then to the fogs and the steering column to the switch by the lower panel. That should do. And yes, it might take me 2-3 hours, but it shouldn't take that long for the techies at the dealership.

I'm just going to follow this how-to
http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=19719.0

1 - 4 of 4 Posts