Mazda3 Forums banner
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
ShockProof is meant for differentials and transfer cases, it reduces wear on gears during launching and heavy loads. I would never use it in OEM transmissions, "dog boxes" yes but not OEM.

MTL and MT90 is another story, these are purely tranny oils and they work very well.

· Registered
3,408 Posts
Can anyone say how each product affects ability to shift without the "grdblthug" feeling these (MS3) transmissions have?

I've been considering Amsoil like some others here and it's available, but I need two things to be better over stock:

The feel of shifts.
The fact that it takes an act of Congress to shift into 1st when it's really really cold out & the trans. hasn't yet warmed.

· Registered
42 Posts
Lightweight shockproof is fine. If you live in sub-freezing environments, I would stick with MT90. If not, lightweight shockproof is fine for synchronized transmissions.

E36 BMW M3s and Nissan R32-34 GTRs 'require' ATF and NOT gear oil. Both work fine with even Shockproof HEAVY. For track-only cars, or cars that never see sub 60*F, shockproof heavy is fine and works GREAT under heavy abuse on track. But takes a few miles to warm up and those few miles need to be taken very patiently on the transmission with slow shifts until it's warmed up.

Either LW-SP or MT90 will be fine.

· Registered
43 Posts
I currently use royal purple, but was wondering about eneos, my friend owns a shop and they just started distributing them, and he tells me it's better than what I run...

I like in wisconsin so the winters can be harsh, anyone got any advice?

· Registered
42 Posts
[quote author=DUCK link=topic=67903.msg2924074#msg2924074 date=1234207501]
I currently use royal purple, but was wondering about eneos, my friend owns a shop and they just started distributing them, and he tells me it's better than what I run...

I like in wisconsin so the winters can be harsh, anyone got any advice?
[/quote]For marketers, everything you are running is worse than what they have ;)

I've tried RP Synchromax, its okay. I would probably stick with an equivalent light-weight oil like MT90 or MTL for Wisconsin winters rather than going to a 75W gear oil...

· Registered
75 Posts
if there are complaints of MT90 being too "thick" in the cold, try out Redline MTL. it runs a bit thinner than MT90, but has the same great protection. when switching through gears, you can feel the gear changes more too. a more mechanical feel.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.