Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
9,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just wanted to let everyone know that I just changed my transmission oil from MT90 to Lightweight Shockproof. The change took forever because the shockproof oil does not want to flow down a tube.

Anyways, when I removed the mt90, it was almost the same color as when I put it in. This probably means that the oil did very well in protecting the transmission, anyone care to comment on that? I ran the oil for about 30000 miles.

After putting in the new shockproof my transmission is shifting as smoooooth as butter, but there is an odd noise when I let off the gas coming from the tranmission. Not quite sure what it is but either way, things are looking good. We'll see how this oil stands up to the -20 degree weather we are about to get here.

· Registered
9,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
since putting in the shockproof my car has had no problems shifting when starting my car. I've been avoiding starting it in the morning, but it hasn't been above 10F degrees in the past few days.

· Registered
9,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
[quote author=perrinphantom link=topic=67903.msg1476024#msg1476024 date=1181516273]
be carefull with the lightweight blue goo..i belive that stuff to be the cause of destructed gear on my car.dont use it if u drive hard
[/quote]

I heard a very good explanation of why the "blue goo" will protect the gears of the car. Basically as the transmission heats up the shafts start to spread apart and the gears begin to ride on the edge of their teeth and eventually can shear if you put enough power to them. Shockproof oil keeps your transmission cooler and your gears coated better therefore there is less shaft flex and your gears wont shear. Thank Steve from NSN for that explanation, it's the most scientific one I've heard yet.

Care to explain why the oil was the cause of your gear failure?

· Registered
9,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
[quote author=BLEA636 link=topic=67903.msg2548330#msg2548330 date=1219082494]
I've heard this same argument on the Diesel Truck websites. Alot of us Dodge 6spd guys use Redline MTL in the NV5600 transmission and MT90 in the NV4500. I have not heard any problems with it attacking the syncros. Some even mix the two 50/50
[/quote]

I think people were saying the shockproof attacks the synchros, not the MTL or MT90.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.