Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
8,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just wanted to let everyone know that I just changed my transmission oil from MT90 to Lightweight Shockproof. The change took forever because the shockproof oil does not want to flow down a tube.

Anyways, when I removed the mt90, it was almost the same color as when I put it in. This probably means that the oil did very well in protecting the transmission, anyone care to comment on that? I ran the oil for about 30000 miles.

After putting in the new shockproof my transmission is shifting as smoooooth as butter, but there is an odd noise when I let off the gas coming from the tranmission. Not quite sure what it is but either way, things are looking good. We'll see how this oil stands up to the -20 degree weather we are about to get here.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I just did mine today. Got a whole 905 miles on her. I threw in Royal Purple 75W90 full synthetic. I also went ahead and changed my oil to synthetic, with a new filter and o-rings. It was a lot easier than it sounded on here. I just wanted to get break in time, and then put fresh oil in. Purrrss

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
A unique gear oil designed to lubricate racing transmissions and transaxles which see serious loads (not recommended for most syncro-type transmissions). It has excellent low-temperature flow which allows easier shifting when cold. May be used to obtain maximum power transfer in racing differentials which do not see high temperatures. Similar to a 75W140 gear oil, but with the lower internal friction of an SAE 30 motor oil.

Used in two-stroke and four-stroke motocross transmissions (often mixed in equal parts with SuperLight ShockProof™ Gear Oil).

Used in most road-racing differentials with moderate power and dogring racing transaxles.

why redline says its not recomanded for most of the trannyes?

·
Registered
55 Posts
IMO the redlines r not performing well enough in the winter, but is ok after warmup. I heard the Royal purple shifts pretty smooth in extreme cold weather, so I might be change to Royal purple when the weather gets better.

·
Registered
8,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
since putting in the shockproof my car has had no problems shifting when starting my car. I've been avoiding starting it in the morning, but it hasn't been above 10F degrees in the past few days.

·
Premium Member
3,466 Posts
So what's the deal with this

LightWeight ShockProof™
(not recommended for most syncro-type transmissions).

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
[quote author=perrinphantom link=topic=67903.msg1476024#msg1476024 date=1181516273]
be carefull with the lightweight blue goo..i belive that stuff to be the cause of destructed gear on my car.dont use it if u drive hard
[/quote]

I would say different if you are talking about the Shockproof. I drive my very very hard and never had any problems with it other then it needing to be warmed up more on very cold nights before racing.

·
Registered
8,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
[quote author=perrinphantom link=topic=67903.msg1476024#msg1476024 date=1181516273]
be carefull with the lightweight blue goo..i belive that stuff to be the cause of destructed gear on my car.dont use it if u drive hard
[/quote]

I heard a very good explanation of why the "blue goo" will protect the gears of the car. Basically as the transmission heats up the shafts start to spread apart and the gears begin to ride on the edge of their teeth and eventually can shear if you put enough power to them. Shockproof oil keeps your transmission cooler and your gears coated better therefore there is less shaft flex and your gears wont shear. Thank Steve from NSN for that explanation, it's the most scientific one I've heard yet.

Care to explain why the oil was the cause of your gear failure?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I drove a 92 Sentra SE-R for 7 years before buying my 06 Mazda 3. I ran both the Lightweight and MT-90 without any issues whatsoever. The car had close to 150k when I sold it. Redline gear oil is very popular amongs the SR20DE crowd, and the majority of those guys are pretty knowledgable when it comes to performance. Even the turbo guys pushing 220+ HP used it. Very nice product.

I'm thinking about switching to the MT-90 in my 3.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Is the lightweight shockproof GL5 or 4? As some people think they will destroy yellow metals over time. ie. bushes and synchros.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
DO NOT use light weight shock proof on the 3's tranny! It will clog the tiny lube holes in the shaft with a clay like substance that forms for impact protection. This is not recommended for synchro trannies for that reason. It is a great tranny oil and provides amazing protection just not to OUR trannies.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
[quote author=Xenon929 link=topic=67903.msg2212847#msg2212847 date=1207583041]
DO NOT use light weight shock proof on the 3's tranny! It will clog the tiny lube holes in the shaft with a clay like substance that forms for impact protection. This is not recommended for synchro trannies for that reason. It is a great tranny oil and provides amazing protection just not to OUR trannies.
[/quote]

i know this has been brought up a thousand times, but i dont understand why everyone is so 50/50 on this product being good or bad.

if this rt90 is bad for our trannies, what would you recommend and why? im ready to flush mine as im overdue as is (40k)

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
It's just the shock proof that is bad for our trannies. The rest of the redline products are good. The fact is that my tranny felt good with the SP but when it failed and we took it apart we found all kinds of small clay like particles in there and the holes in the shaft that are used for lubing were clogged with the clay so no oil was getting between the gears. That to me = bad news. I switched to redline MT90 or Royal purple the 2nd time and both work very good although I went back to redline and think I will keep using that since I've had no issues with it so far.

Just don't use shock proof.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
[quote author=Xenon929 link=topic=67903.msg2231641#msg2231641 date=1208215176]
It's just the shock proof that is bad for our trannies. The rest of the redline products are good. The fact is that my tranny felt good with the SP but when it failed and we took it apart we found all kinds of small clay like particles in there and the holes in the shaft that are used for lubing were clogged with the clay so no oil was getting between the gears. That to me = bad news. I switched to redline MT90 or Royal purple the 2nd time and both work very good although I went back to redline and think I will keep using that since I've had no issues with it so far.

Just don't use shock proof.
[/quote]

ah, gotcha. i thought you were knocking the whole redline product's and was going to have to back that train up a minute. :lol:

im trying to find some, but my luck is thin. im going to call a place tomorrow that i think stocks it. my poor car needs a massive fluid overhaul. :(

·
Registered
8,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 54 Posts