Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried searching but found very little....

Anyone else have a problem on a trip longer than like 20 minutes that your CD's get hand-scorching hot?

I started noticing that I'll listen to a cd for like 10 songs or so and then switch and the CD is so hot that I wouldn't risk putting itagainst my bare skin.

Its never messed up a CD or anything but if this isn't normal I'll get it replaced.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I used to have some that stop playin during the summer months. I'd take them out and they'd be fairly hot. Not hot enough to "scorch my hand" tho. Wouldnt worry too much if it doesnt happen too often.

·
Registered
611 Posts
i've never had a CD get too hot to handle (in fact, i would only describe them as warm). If yours are getting that hot, id consider a few things:

only certain cds?
only a certain TYPE of cd? (laser etched? silk screen cover? no image on the surface? a particular brand you've burnt?)

if it happens more than a couple times a week i would likely take it in and inquire.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'mma start paying more attention... but I think its with EVERY cd... and all the time. Just sometimes I don't have the CD in long enough for it to heat up.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I am guessing the the car heater sends a small amount of warm air into the player. I didn't notice this during the summer, but they are sure warm now that I'm using the heater all of the time.

It makes some sense that Mazda engineers designed the heater to warm up all of the electronics in the dash so that any water evaporated from carpets and the occupants clothes doesn't condense on the circuitry.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
How loud are you playing the stereo when the CDs get hot? The louder you play the stereo, the harder the amp has to work, and the more heat it will put out. If you're crankin' it, it's likely that the heat from the amp's heatsink is causing other internal stereo parts to heat up, including the CDs.

·
Registered
86 Posts
5 or 6 really isn't that loud .. may indeed be from your vents. Do you have the heat up when it happens or just driving for a long period of time?

·
Registered
611 Posts
[quote author=geewhizbang link=topic=66928.msg1149106#msg1149106 date=1168797754]
I am guessing the the car heater sends a small amount of warm air into the player. I didn't notice this during the summer, but they are sure warm now that I'm using the heater all of the time.

It makes some sense that Mazda engineers designed the heater to warm up all of the electronics in the dash so that any water evaporated from carpets and the occupants clothes doesn't condense on the circuitry.
[/quote]

sounds reasonable, i've not used my heat much yet actually.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Turns out this is normal. I have experience the same thing. I asked the mechanic at my dealership and he said it happens with all of the 3's. No worries! :lol:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts