Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fact or Fiction?
I was talking to a friend of mine today about the color of my next car and I told her I was leaning towards red. Her response was you should avoid red because you increase your chances of getting pulled over by the police. I've heard this said many times, but my question is has a study ever been done to prove that this is the case. If so please provide a link if you have one.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Whenever I shop for a car my color requirements are:
No Black - Shows too much dirt and is too hot in the summer
No White - Shows too much dirt
No Red - Attracts too much attention

People say that yellow posesses the same "qualities" as red.

Really the best bet if you want to reduce your chances of a ticket are to look as innocuous as possible. Generally than means white, green, silver, brown, blue or something like that.

Edit: here is an interesting link (graphic language wanring) http://archives.indenial.com/hypermail/humor/2000/August2000/0008.html

·
Registered
656 Posts
"Car color: Speeding ticket red. Speeding ticket yellow. Neutral
black. Neutral Green. Neutral Blue. Slow white. Slow brown. Fucking queer purple. "

I got this from the aforementioned website.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
I think they do. I used to own a red Acura Integra and I was stopped by a cop and was given a ticket for going through a yellow light! Honestly, how many people do you know of have received a ticket for that! :D

·
Registered
105 Posts
The fact you got pulled over probably has more to do with the make of the car than the color.

As for the yellow light. It depends on how you go through the yellow. Yellow means "proceed with caution". If you accelerate through it, they'll nail you.

·
Registered
526 Posts
raitchison said:
Whenever I shop for a car my color requirements are:
No Black - Shows too much dirt and is too hot in the summer
No White - Shows too much dirt
No Red - Attracts too much attention
You think Lava Orange doesn't attract attention?? :roll: :roll:

I think that sticks out in traffic more than a red car...

·
Registered
882 Posts
It's completely BS. Of the last 4 main cars I've owned in the previous 8-9 years 3 have been red and one was silver, the only car I was pulled over in was the one that was silver, what does that tell you? The colour I've been pulled over in the most is black.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
It says that you only know how to drive red cars??

No, just kidding. Actually, I think it's somewhat of a myth, but most of the people I know have gotten the bulk of their tickets in red (primarily) or white cars.

I'm just not a big fan of red - unless it is a classic muscle car.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Where I live, Carmel Indiana (Northern Suburb of Indianapolis), the more expensive looking car you have the less likely you are to get pulled over. There are exceptions to this rule though including expensive sports cars. It is kind of a rich neighborhood and I think the police leave the more wealthy people alone (people with their own personal lawyers). My Mazda3 being new and rare in my county, plus having HIDs looks like an expensive car so hopefully that will give me an advantage of seeming wealthy and getting less tickets

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I agree - in parts of the bay area, it's a toss up. If you live in Monte Sereno (where a 1200 sqft home is about $600k - it goes up from there), then they don't bother you much.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I'd say most red cars are of the type that are made to go faster than your basic transportation. Most people who drive those faster cars tend to want to drive them faster. Thus, more of them get nailed. Hence a larger share of tickets for red cars.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Once had a red conv. cop pulled us over and didnt have anything in mind when he pulled us over cause he tried to accuse us of haveing people in teh back seat when we shouldnt have....it had seat belts and was legal 4 seater...and there was no way he could have seen them back there before he pulled us over..so basically he was trying to find something.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've been driving a red Honda Civic for the last 12 years and have received only 2 speeding tickets. Thus through my experience I don't give much merit to the statement, but I had heard it so many times through the years I had wondered if there had been studies done to prove it. I have found however that my red car has been hit many times while parked which I've never understood. My rear bumper has been hit 5 times, front once, and side once. I figured red cars getting pulled over more often was a myth like green M&Ms make you horny :lol:

·
Registered
744 Posts
Mazda3s said:
a myth like green M&Ms make you horny :lol:
She gets me going everytime I see her in the commercials... :shock: :lol:

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
As for the yellow light. It depends on how you go through the yellow. Yellow means "proceed with caution". If you accelerate through it, they'll nail you.
Actually, yellow means yield... so says my PA state driving instruction booklet.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts