Mazda3 Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dealer pointed out to me that I have 2 almost completely bald tires after only 20k miles. I'm looking to replacing all FOUR because I'm pretty sure I can get a better price than replacing the only two bad ones with exact matches. I dont want to spend $190 per tire for RS-A's that are going to wear down on me quickly and then have to get them AGAIN when my 2 current good ones wear down (And by the looks of most posts, the RS-A's are not liked very much)

Car specs: 2004 Mazda3 s 4-door, all stock - no racing, just normal highway/backroad driving, I'd like all-seasons
Current tires: Goodyear Eagle RS-A 205/50VR17 88V

These are the brands I found on tirerack.com (I decided it would be easiest to take a screenshot)
http://img501.imageshack.us/img501/9330/tiresny0.gif

I figured the best thing to do before I make any final decisions is to see if anyone has any of the pictured tires and which ones are good/bad.

I'm a newb with knowing anything about tires, so any help is much appreciated. Thank in advanced!!! =)

·
Registered
9,388 Posts
First, use the search. You can find your answers a lot faster that way. This subject has been covered many times before.

If you want to stay with an all season, look at the Kumho Ecsta ASX. It's an awesome tire and is cheaper than all of those you posted and lasts longer.

Also, look at moving to a 215/45/17. It's a sportier, better looking, and cheaper sized tire since it's a more common size than the 205/50/17. You can run that size just fine on the stock wheels.

·
Registered
215 Posts
bump for the Kuhmo's... i run the ecsta MX's

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
[quote author=the415 link=topic=68306.msg1178827#msg1178827 date=1170264889]First, use the search. You can find your answers a lot faster that way. This subject has been covered many times before. [/quote]
I spent so long looking around, trying searches.. got no where really. I dont think I know enough about WHAT to search for in order to search properly =(

Thanks for your info so far. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
15,112 Posts
Just a word to the wise... if you plan on buying your tires from tirerack.com or any other related site, be ready to fork out a good amount of cash to have them mounted at your local tire place. They jack up the cost of labor because you didn't buy the tires from them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
^^ Yes, thank you. Just using it mostly for reference & research. I have someone nearby who will match any online price I get with mounting/balancing included in that said price =)

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
There are a lot of tires to choose from, and generally people on this forum go for handling, wear, and cheap price.

If you're looking for comfort and better wear, then look at the grand touring tires.

The performance tires will generally be louder, more bumpy (stiffer sidewalls), and not last as long as touring tires. Touring tires have plenty of traction for every day driving, just not something you should get if you want to maximize performance.

So the question you want to ask yourself is: Do you push your car to the limits?

If so, then go for the Kumhos, Toyos, BFgoodrich G-force, etc... Or if you have the $, then get Yok .Advans, Michelin Exaltos, Eagle F1s, etc.

As for me, I'll probably end up getting Kumho SPTs because my car will NEVER see snow in southern california. hehe

·
Registered
134 Posts
Fusion ZRI's.... Great not so well known tire by bridgestone. Like them better than my yokahama AVS es100's.Very stiff sidewall and not near as noisy. Good price as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.