Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I remember when I bought my car the salesman said to leave the air vent control on recirculate instead of fresh. What's the opinion on this? Does it really matter??

·
Registered
781 Posts
It matters a lot actually. When it's hot outside and you're using the AC it's better to use the recirc. If the inside of your car is hotter than outside though, you should not use the recirc until the inside of the car is cooler than outside. The other thing is if you have the selection to the defrost or defrost and floor then it can only be in the outside air position. If you take the switch back to anything else after being in defrost or defrost and floor it will stay in the outside air position. Make sense?

·
Registered
504 Posts
[quote author=Mazda3Pride link=topic=67922.msg1170160#msg1170160 date=1169827858]
It matters a lot actually. When it's hot outside and you're using the AC it's better to use the recirc. If the inside of your car is hotter than outside though, you should not use the recirc until the inside of the car is cooler than outside. The other thing is if you have the selection to the defrost or defrost and floor then it can only be in the outside air position. If you take the switch back to anything else after being in defrost or defrost and floor it will stay in the outside air position. Make sense?
[/quote]

:crazy:
Not really

I never use Recirculate, AC gets much colder if you use recir. if its too hot outside and recir. eats more gas, so i almost never use it. The only problem, recir. will give you cold air very fast but fresh on the other hand will take a while:(.

·
Registered
781 Posts
[quote author=naxxal link=topic=67922.msg1170171#msg1170171 date=1169828371]
I never use Recirculate, AC gets much colder if you use recir. if its too hot outside and recir. eats more gas, so i almost never use it. The only problem, recir. will give you cold air very fast but fresh on the other hand will take a while:(.
[/quote]

Thats pretty much what I was trying to say. Only time I use recirc is in the summer. I'll spend a few bucks more at the pump to be cooler.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Recirc is also good if you are driving through an unusually smelly or dusty area. Recirc is also better to use in the winter because it will take less time to warm up the air that is already trapped inside your car.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I always leave it on fresh air. But then again I smoke so I dont want the same air recirculating. I dont have A/C either so its all four windows down in the summer.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Moose.....used to live in Painesville Ohio.....bought my car at Classic Mazda up in Mentor.
Familar with the area????

·
Registered
781 Posts
[quote author=SportWagN link=topic=67922.msg1170991#msg1170991 date=1169855188]
So basically dont fart with it on recirculate........ :p
[/quote]

LOL!!!

·
Registered
9,518 Posts
lol.

i heard keeping recirculate on too long creates fungi.

cold water and air stays somewhere and can create mold or something.

so letting the air from outside in once in a while helps that mold stay away. i guess.

·
Registered
29 Posts
[quote author=kspec link=topic=67922.msg1171133#msg1171133 date=1169862894]
lol.

i heard keeping recirculate on too long creates fungi.

cold water and air stays somewhere and can create mold or something.

so letting the air from outside in once in a while helps that mold stay away. i guess.

[/quote]

Also true.

·
Registered
70 Posts
[quote author=greyzoomer link=topic=67922.msg1170583#msg1170583 date=1169843621]
Hey Moose.....used to live in Painesville Ohio.....bought my car at Classic Mazda up in Mentor.
Familar with the area????
[/quote]

I live in Cuyahoga Falls so im not familar with the erea. But i know where Mentor and Painesville are if thats what you mean.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Ever see a car in the cold weather with the inside of the windows all fogged/iced up. It's because re-circulate is on. Use fresh in cold weather to keep the inside of the windows clear. Yes, you can use re-circulate if you want to have the car heat up faster, but switch it to fresh once warm. Ever notice the color of the fresh air selection is green, and re-circulate is orange?

·
Registered
7,234 Posts
I only set the air to recirculate on two conditions:

1) It's really hot out and I want to cool the car down.
2) There some ass in front of me with a car that's pretending it's a smoke stack (usually something with a diesel motor).

Basically, I use recirculate to keep smelly air out of the cabin. Very often, I can get stuck behind a truck that's hauling garbage north out of New York City. They can stink up the highway downwind for several miles! They smell that bad. ...and don't get me started on the trucks that haul "Porta-Potty's". I've got stuck behind them a few times last month!

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Driving to San Fran on the I-5 where all the cows are is the worst. Recirculate doesn't prevent all the smell from getting in.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Audi and Hyundai (not sure what else offer this) offer the automatic refresh. It will take the outside air and when it detects smoke or dust, it will switch to recir, then switch back to refresh when the air quality returns.
Never know how it works in Hyundai, but I got Audi A3 and it works very great.

·
Registered
9,451 Posts
recirculate uses less gas in the summer time then fresh air. How the heck would it use more??? Instead of having the HVAC vents open to the outside they are closed. Since the cabin is cooler then the outside you are only recirculating cooler air over the evaporative core. The hotter the air over the core the more frequently the AC compressor runs...since it is cooler air it will run less frequently.
-Matt

1 - 20 of 24 Posts