Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was trying to install my new homelink mirror today and got as far as step 6...removing the OE mirror.

The directions say to use the fiberstick to unlatch the tab that holds the original mirror on. Since I don't have a fiberstick, I used various sizes of flat-head screwdrivers to fish around for the tab with no such luck.

I also referred to the website with the how-to on installing the mirror, but that mirror looks as if it has a different type of tab. Maybe they changed the design since 2004.

So can anybody help me out as far as finding a way to remove this thing? I tried to wiggle it and pull it and I was afraid that I may end up cracking the windshield if I tug hard enough the wrong way.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I tried again before I had to run to school this afternoon and I got it off!

There's a little notch in the base of the base of the mirror (if that makes any sense) and I stuck a smaller screwdriver in there. I couldn't feel anything that would grab it, like a tab or anything. So I stuck it in as far as it could go and I was able to slide the mirror off the mount no problem! It came out real easy too! So for now I've got my auto-dimming homelink mirror on there, it's just not hooked up electronically yet. :( Looks like I have a mini project this weekend!

I don't have any pics of the mirror or anything, but I'll try and grab some pics when I get home if I remember!

·
Registered
15,654 Posts
[quote author=Burnout524 link=topic=137362.msg2963583#msg2963583 date=1235682824]
So I tried again before I had to run to school this afternoon and I got it off!

There's a little notch in the base of the base of the mirror (if that makes any sense) and I stuck a smaller screwdriver in there. I couldn't feel anything that would grab it, like a tab or anything. So I stuck it in as far as it could go and I was able to slide the mirror off the mount no problem! It came out real easy too! So for now I've got my auto-dimming homelink mirror on there, it's just not hooked up electronically yet. :( Looks like I have a mini project this weekend!

I don't have any pics of the mirror or anything, but I'll try and grab some pics when I get home if I remember!
[/quote]

Yeah, pics of the inside of the mount to see the "clip" (or whatever) would be nice. I'm going to be installing an auto-dim on my father's Mz5 soon.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Better late than never; here are some pics:

Base attached to windshield:

Underside of base of mirror:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yup that's about it! I guess the friction caused by that metal tab keeps the mirror held on really well. :dunno: The rest of install was easy and very streight forward...the directions from Mazda were great!

Good luck with the install!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've made several attempts to follow the advice in this thread, but to no avail. I push my screwdriver in through the bottom as far as I can (so far, it's a little hard to pull out), and then try to pull the mounting bracket upwards, but it won't budge. The screwdriver I'm using is just small enough to fit in the hole in the bottom- do I need something smaller? Any other advice?

Thanks

·
Registered
358 Posts
your headed in the right direction. There is no real defining click that your gonna feel you only need to supress the clipping mechanism. After you get the screw driver into the hole your gonna angle towards the windshield. Fish around and it should come out. you can use a mirror and flash light to pin point the clip

Just a side not to add for MS3s or newer M3 with auto windshield wiper sensor. You need to remove the cover at the base of the rear view first. At the base of the cover there is a small hole where you insert a flat head screw driver. Insert the screw driver and rotate causing the cover to split in 2. Remove the rain sensor by sliding down the 2 clips located at the bottom 2 corners. slide the sensor off and out of the way. Then the removal process is the same as stated in the post

·
Registered
4 Posts
The mirror I bought isn't a homelink mirror. It's just a cheap generic mirror I bought to replace my original one that was knocked off. But anyway, here's a photo:

Also, I took a photo of the mounting bracket with my screwdriver in the back.

I tried to remove the mount again this morning, with no luck. Am I trying to unlatch something near the entrance of the opening, or is it farther back?

·
Registered
38,702 Posts
Thanks for the tips.. I actually have to remove mine sometime this week.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Your probably catching the clip right in the middle. If you can angle down towards the windshield. If you can try another tool maybe a pick tool or a clothes hanger may work better for you.

·
Registered
358 Posts
[quote author=ShiraiJunichi link=topic=137362.msg3579286#msg3579286 date=1269269732]
The mirror I bought isn't a homelink mirror. It's just a cheap generic mirror I bought to replace my original one that was knocked off. But anyway, here's a photo:

Also, I took a photo of the mounting bracket with my screwdriver in the back.

I tried to remove the mount again this morning, with no luck. Am I trying to unlatch something near the entrance of the opening, or is it farther back?
[/quote]

Also if your planning on using the original ball mount for the mirror the reinstall is a pain in the ass your gonna need a vise or at least a c clamp to get it done.

·
Registered
4 Posts
[quote author=trdsw link=topic=137362.msg3580043#msg3580043 date=1269296788]
Also if your planning on using the original ball mount for the mirror the reinstall is a pain in the ass your gonna need a vise or at least a c clamp to get it done.
[/quote]

I assume by ball mount you're referring to the ball joint visible in the image I posted. After my mirror came off, I tried reattaching it to the ball mount with my bare hands. Fat chance. Apparently the detachment is a safety mechanism in case of an accident, and it's not meant to reattach. So I just bought a new mirror- and plan on throwing away the old ball joint. I'd still like to use the same mounting button though, as it's still firmly attached to my windshield.

·
Registered
358 Posts
its near impossible to do it by hand and if you try to reattach while its still attached to the windshield than you run the a huge risk of cracking your windshield. it is however possible to reattach it after it comes off the windshield. you need something that'll keep constant tension like a vise or a c clamp and a piece of wood the size of the mirror.

did you use a mirror to see where the clip is for the rearview? with a flash light you should be able to catch a glimpse of where the clip is. There is almost no way to reuse the original clip without first removing it from your windshield.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ok, so I finally got it off. I pushed underneath with a screwdriver while a friend used a hammer to tap a wooden block placed underneath the mounting bracket. It finally came loose after a few taps.

Thanks for everyone's help.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts