Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this week I had a very loud rattle in the back left that was getting worse and worse.

I removed everything from my hatch area (spare, jack, floor panels, etc.) and it still rattled. Worried that my rear suspension was loose (Tein SuperStreet coilovers that I installed myself about 6 mos. ago), I removed the tire and checked the 2 shock bolts at the top of the wheel well but they were tight. Next I started removing trim and finally even removed the hatch support struts and rear seat belt mechanisms, but still the sound remained.

I found a bolt that I wasn't sure what it was, but it was the top of the shock. It had been so long since I put them in I forgot what they look like. :bash: So I don't think that was the noise, but it was loose at any rate. The scary thing is that the shiny part of the shock, the top part, has rotated in towards the car. I can twist it back via the bolt from the inside but I think it will just keep happening over time.

So the noise was maybe the seat belt tensioners rattling against the body panels, and the twisted rear shock is another issue. (I guess.)

Look for the new sitcom "Noobin' it up with Kohai" this fall on ABC.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Re: Potential danger w/ my coilovers(?)

I don't have coilovers but I think you may have just solved a rattle that has been driving me nuts

·
Registered
26,629 Posts
I have the same coilovers... I hear that on the passenger side rear... I didn't hear it until today and I installed it with my bro just 2-3 weeks ago. I am not sure what it is... but when I looked... everything looks fine. I will check all the bolts... and I can clearly hear that it's from the right side too.

·
Registered
193 Posts
My hatch is rattling in the back too... Today, I ripped the interior out of the back to search for it (it's bad, loud, annoying, and always there). My seatbelt retractors are making noise. All I had to do was tap on them and they rattled like crazy, all three! I tried looking at how to take those seatbelt thingys apart, without any luck.

Finally, I gave up and reassembled the car. I am scheduling an appoitment with the dealer to see if I can't get them replaced under warranty.

Is anyone elses seat belt retractors rattle, even over minor bumps like mine? Does someone out there have a fix for this?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I think I have the exact same issue. I can here to post about it. Anytime I go over any kind of bump I had a metalic ratting from the rear. At first I thought it was the spare but I have cleared out the trunk and the spare is locked in tight.

Is this a design issue?

For the record I have the Sedan and not the hatch. But the problem sounds the same. '07 bought in July.

EDIT: Reading some more there seems to be a common rear suspension issue. Just Google "Mazda3 rear clunk." It's covered under warranty.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Well I know for a fact it is my seat belt tensioners.... I guess I will see what the dealer has to say. It seems awkward that its only mine, maybe I had a bad batch?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anyone who still come across this issue, check your rear brake pads. the pad on the inside of the rotor has a spring that can over time start to flatten and it will let the pad bounce around. I had the same issue and luckily stumbled across this. Just bent the spring back up and now there isn’t a rattle anymore. Hope this helps :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts