Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Newbie to this site.

I am going tomorrow to look at the 5door models. I have a question about the back seat and yes I have been searching the archives for about 2 hours now.

I need an honest opinion, can 2 average size adults ride in the back seat. I rally want to buy the Mazda3, but if it will not hold 2 adults in the rear seat, I am going to have to settle for something larger.

·
Registered
80 Posts
In my opinion there is adequate room for average size adults. I am 6'0 with fairly long legs and there is enough room behind me(while driving) for other adults. Now don't get the wrong impression that their is enough room to tie a shoe while seated, it will be comfortable enough for small day trips I would say.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Thig said:
Hi, Newbie to this site.

I am going tomorrow to look at the 5door models. I have a question about the back seat and yes I have been searching the archives for about 2 hours now.

I need an honest opinion, can 2 average size adults ride in the back seat. I rally want to buy the Mazda3, but if it will not hold 2 adults in the rear seat, I am going to have to settle for something larger.
I believe the rear seat room is adequate for 2 average size adults. However, I don't think it will be good for long road trips...just a quick load in...drive around town...now get out type of aspect. I've been able to fit 3 people back there. If I were to sit back there...I could be comfortable...but I'll never sit back there because I will be the only priviledged one to drive the 3 :twisted: .

Spencer

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies, my lat car was an Altima SE. Great power, but many problems. The back seat in it seemed large enough, I did a compare on it and the 3Hatchback using Mazda website, I was surprised at how close the back seat dimensions are. The 3 actually beat it in headroom.

Oh well, I go tomorrow to look and drive. Will let the board know if I get one.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I'd say a little tight if the trip is more than 1 hour.

But I have a friend who is 6'2" and he sat in the back (passenger side) with no problems. But he also was in that front seat just before he tried the back, so the seat had good distance.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I've gone on a couple of 2 hour road trips on the highway with 2 adults in the back, one over 6'2" tall and there was no complaints. What is nice is with the telescoping steering wheel it makes it easier to do temporary drivers seat adjustments for in town driving.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I don't mind the telescoping wheel, but I tend to block the display - so I never know how fast I am when I'm going over 60 mph.

·
Registered
267 Posts
See the problem with the back seat is that the drivers seat can go WAY back. It extends backwards even farther than the passanger seat. So if you are greedy as a driver and push it way back (further than my two previous cars : Sunfire & GrandAM), there now becomes a lack of rear legroom. The problem with rear legroom in this situation is more the fact that there is no foot space, not that there is no knee space. The feet have to tuck under the drivers seat in this case. Knee space is ok.

Now when I am driving people in the back, I put the smaller person (usually a girl) behind me because I'm 6'0" and greedy with leg space. If its someone taller, I pull my seat up slightly and get less greedy with my own leg room. Don't get me wrong, its still comfy for me to drive with the seat up a couple inches; it just reminds me of my old Sunfire more that way. lol.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
my parents fit back therea logn with my sister...so yes they fit..but if you're goign on omre than say a 2 hour drive or so.....i wouldnt recommend it...but they would fit...snugly ;)

·
Registered
245 Posts
If you're going on a long roadtrip with 3 people, you could always make them rotate seats as you make pit stops and such anyway. But I mean, other than the occasional roadtrip, how often would you have a fullsized adult in the rearseat for more than an hour?

·
Registered
882 Posts
"how often would you have a fullsized adult in the rearseat for more than an hour?"

Rarely should, 10-15 minutes in most cases if your efficient. Any longer and you risk being caught. ;)

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I don't do pitstops... If I ain't gotta pee, the car ain't stoppin.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
DJ Spencer said:
I don't do pitstops... If I ain't gotta pee, the car ain't stoppin.
I agree!

Regarding backseat room, I found that with the driver's seat positioned where I would have it ( I am 5'8"), there was about 2-3 inches of knee room and head room was about 3 inches until I would hit the headliner. The only problem I had was getting out of the seat, as I almost tripped getting out because they doorway is a little small ( I wear size 9.5-10" shoes). Overall the back seat is a comfortable place to be, and it is nice to have adjustable headrests.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
yeah, I noticed the door to be a bit smaller than the P5 setup. I was a bit unhappy about that - but I figure if I'm driving, they can f'n deal with it!! ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts