Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2009 3, What is the size, pitch and all for the rear lower shock bolt? Going to have to cut one to change the shocks. Seized to the sleeve in the shock bushing.

·
Registered
198 Posts
My recommendation would be to absolutely not use the Home Depot bolt, unless you can verify it is something other than low strength steel. Not aware they sell grade 8.8 or higher which is needed here.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I still have that 4 inch thick catalog. They are hard to get now unless you are a qualified purchaser. I am short by 1 employee in the machine shop to qualify for a free catalog. LOL wanna job!;)

My recommendation would be to absolutely not use the Home Depot bolt, unless you can verify it is something other than low strength steel. Not aware they sell grade 8.8 or higher which is needed here.
I get Grade 8, and other hardness as well Stainless steel all the time at Lowes and Home Depot. At least in my 2 area's Ca and Texas that I work out of has a great selection.
That why you look at the top of the bolt for the rating!
In fact I check picked up a bakers dozen of these yesterday at Home Depot!

;)

I should point out that while many are so worried about the grade rating the biggest concern is the threads. On a fastener used for suspension parts like a dampener you want more Shank and less threads. Threads are the weak point on the bolt when shear and tension force are combined during the function of the dampener.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts