Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
02/06/2009 about 6:30pm EST - I was sitting at a red light on a 5 or 6 lane road with 2 left turning lanes. The light was red and I was in the right of the 2 left turn lanes stopped with someone in front of me. Well, I wasnt paying attention, changing the radio or something, and WHAM. Someone driving in the left of the 2 left turn lanes was turned around not paying attention and drifted into my lane and creamed me in the drivers side rear corner.

As soon as I got out I could tell the back wheel had taken most of the force of the blow. He missed the rear bumper entirely and drove right into the soft spot at the rear corner. The rear wheel came forward 2 or 3 inches and knocked off part of the side skirt.

I had not given it much thought until now after talking to some people, but could there be frame damage or serious suspension damage? Due to the wheel being about 2-3 inches further forward than it should be I did not drive it, I had it towed. However, I had to drive it a short distance to get out of the road and there was a difference I could feel right away.

I am not super familiar with the rear suspension in the 3, but based on the wheel having been pushed forward is that really serious? I had read that if the frame is bent it is almost guaranteed to be totalled. It is an 07 with about 48,000 miles on it.

Pics are attached so you can see the carnage.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Re: Totaled? (With Pics)

Unless there's major damage to the unibody on the underside of the car, then no they won't total that.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Well my biggest concern was that the wheel was pushed forward and that could have damaged the frame. I dont want a car that pulls to one side or drives crooked until I get a new one!

·
Registered
10,739 Posts

That sucks... definitely not totaled though. But look on the bright side... now you can get the Mazdaspeed rear bumper! ;)

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: OK OK. How Bad? (With Pics)

Well they gave me a Mazda 6 as the rental which is not too bad, V6 model even. None of the frills I am used to though, no a$$ warmers, auto headlights, auto climate control, satellite radio..... I miss it already. I hate getting hit by people who are not paying attention! I seem to be a magnet for that...

Plus this 6 feels like a freaking boat compared to what I am used to driving. Better than what they gave me last time I was hit though, a pee yellow Pontiac G5 2 door.....

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Re: Rear ended (With Pics)

o common that will buff right out.

·
Registered
309 Posts

Sorry to hear about this. :(

I hate inattentive drivers, I woulda been tempted to beat the piss out of someone.

·
Registered
15,112 Posts

That sucks man, sorry to hear that happened. In my car before the 3, I got rear-ended 2 times in it. I thought the car had bad karma, so I finally got rid of it! lol
It shouldn't be totaled, for sure. The shop can fix that up and I don't think it would have bent the frame itself... if anything, just some of the suspension components were compromised.
I hope they fix it in a timely manner, and you are back on the road with the 3 soon! At least they gave you another Mazda to hang out in while its being fixed!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Yea but these rental places keep the cars so dirty. I am alright though, no pain or anything (yet at least). The car just seemed to suck in the impact, which was nice I guess for me. The other guy had hardly any damage though, just a knocked out headlight really. It was a 98 Caravan that hit me and those things have the hard black plastic front bumpers. He could at least drive his away.......

·
Registered
162 Posts

That sucks man. Just pay attention to everything when you get it back and if it doesn't feel right, take it right back to the repair shop and notify the other guys insurance immediately. Best of luck from another VT alum. You still live in VA?

·
Registered
872 Posts

That really sucks... Hope everything works out, and maybe you can build it up again and make it even better! But watch out for that wheel, and be careful!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts