Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I replaced my rear shocks on my 2006 Mazda3 with 186K miles on it with the Monroe 5607. I think it still had the stock ones on the car - whoops! Anyway, after replacing the shocks there was a rear clunking over small bumps (high frequency, I guess?), and the noise was not there before. I then replaced the shock mounts and still have the same issue. I thought maybe it could be a bad shock because one took longer to come back to starting position after priming them, but now I'm not too sure.

Does anybody know what the issue could be? I've checked that the bolt on the bottom of the shock and nuts holding the shock mount are tight, and really tried to put the nut on the top (holding the shock to the mount) tight when installing.

Through my research, I've come up with some possibilities and would like some input on them and any other ideas someone might have.
1. The bushing at the bottom of the shock is slightly smaller than OEM, so it causes the whole shock to move and rattle when moving. Can maybe be resolved by installing a washer as a shim.
2. Rear end sway bar links are also bad and need replaced. If it is this, why would they not start making a noise until after replacing shocks?
3. Bad shock(s)
4. Hardware not tightened enough. Used hand ratchet with extended handle for more leverage.

I haven't been able to look at these, yet, because I live downtown on a busy street and it's been raining and windy.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
169 Posts
The last time I saw someone report noise after a shock replacement, they found that the shock nut wasn't fully tightened to the mount. I guess I'd expect the end links to make more of a knock back there, whereas a "clunk" is a function of the shock/mount noise amplified by the wheel well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, I guess I'll take it off again and try to tighten it more. I wonder if I can access it from the trunk or somewhere else without having to take it off.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts