Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to take out the rear deck in my car to try and put some insulation in it so it will stop rattling like nuts when the bass hits in my songs. So yesterday it was finally warm enough out for me to attempt this however I ran into a problem when came across having to pull off the panels that go here:

(That's not my picture.)

The problem is that when I started taking the panels off, I realized is actually an airbag module in there I wasn't expecting. I figured I would just stop there and come on here before I went any further with taking those off. Is it alright if I continue pulling that panel off? I really don't want to screw up anything with those airbags and mess those up.

What do you guys think?

I have other ideas for securing the rear deck should taking those panels off be an issue. I just wasn't expecting that damn airbag.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How much force did you have to use to take them off? I pretty much stopped because I felt I was using too much force and I didn't want to toutch that module at all. Also, how far back does that go? Are there any senors under there that could get bumped?

Sorry for so many questions but I'm just trying to ease my edgyness before I pull those off. Any advice as well?

·
Registered
15,654 Posts
Removing the plastic panel doesn't do anything to the airbag. It would be like saying you don't want to lift up the carpet in the trunk because you don't want to damage the spare tire........ it's just a cover.

If you're really concerned (and you shouldn't be) disconnect the battery and pump the brakes several times, or wait 10-15 minutes as that should drain any remaining power out of the airbag capacitor.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, thanks icspots. (and jem) It's just I know virtually zilch about airbags and how they work let alone how they are set off. I think the last thing not only I, but anyone else want's to do it set one off by accident. It just seems the airbag is so close to the panel which is my worry. But I'm going to guess there are no sensors on the two airbag modules there in the back or near them so I should have a problem. (right?)

I suppose once it warms up again I will give this a go. Which doesn't look like it'll be anytime soon. :(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts