Mazda3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was rear ended 7 months ago and FINALLY got the insurance money, so I'm trying to find an aftermarket rear bumper that looks good with the stock front bumper and stock side skirts. The only rear bumper I could find that was specifically listed for the 07' speed3 was the auto-exe (but it's pricey, and hard to find). I did find a few others that were listed for the 04-06' Mazda 3 hatch. I wasn't sure if a bumper for the 06' normal 3 hatch would fit an 07' speed3 though... does anyone know for sure?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Why aren't you simply going to a bodyshop to get the bumper repaired/replaced since insurance is getting involved?

It seems like if you've been driving around with the damaged bumper for 7 months, it's not damaged too badly and repair/repaint will be much cheaper than replacement. If you're getting a replacement, there are companies that rebuild old bumpers

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
See.... here's the whole story.

My wife was backed into in a parking lot. Unluckily, she happened to be in the car (parked in a space, sitting still) when it was backed into. The other person lied and said my wife did it. The damage caused obviously showed that my wife was right. The truck that backed into her had scuffing and scraping on the side of it's back bumper and it's mudflap was torn off. Our car had a gouge and a long scrape mark across the back of our back bumper, tail light, and "mazdaspeed" badge. No visible metal damage though, and it wasn't pushed in at all, thank god. Looking at the damage, the only way a 5 inch lateral scrape could have occured on the taillight of our car without breaking it, was if our car was sitting still while the truck backed up and scraped across it. Unfortunately, it took the insurance companies 7 months to figure that out.

So 7 months ago we got some of the insurance money (A whopping $6... because it was minus our $1000 deductible) and now we got the deductible back since the accident was ruled in our favor. I could go to a body shop and have it all done by them according to the insurance writeup with used or aftermarket parts. No thanks. I don't mind used parts so much (if and when they can find them in good condition, my cousins 300ZX sat for 6 months at the body shop waiting for used parts to surface), but aftermarket OE style parts are usually cheap garbage. The current bumper on the car is trashed, not worth fixing, it's got deep scrapes in the unpainted grey area. I can get a new OEM bumper and have it painted by a body shop and install it myself for what $ we have to spend, or I can get an aftermarket (upgrade style) bumper and do it for about the same price. I'd rather have a nicer, unique looking bumper and get rid of that ugly gray (and hard to clean) honeycomb looking stuff at the bottom of the OE bumper if I can. I don't want a garbage chop gun fiberglass bumper that will fall apart and fit crooked though either. If I can get a nice high quality FRP, carbon fiber or urethane bumper I'd be happy.

I already replaced the tail light, and I plan to remove or replace the mazdaspeed badge. Just need to do something with the bumper.

·
Registered
98 Posts
In the end there is nothing you can do, get a stock replacement bumper there is no ricer bumpers out there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts