Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Re: Warranty Voided [update: Unvoided!]

Hey guys,

Just thought I would vent here to let everyone know that Mazda voided my entire warranty (the remaining 500 miles of my bumper to bumper) AND my ENTIRE power train warranty because I have BC coilovers.

I took the car in to get a few minor issues resolved before my bumper-to-bumper was up... nothing mechanically wrong with the vehicle, I asked them to sort out a creak in my B pillar as well as popping noise from the front left, wanted to make sure that it wasn't a motor mount or anything... a few other annoyances...

They keep the car for two days, call me on the third and tell me that Mazda voided my entire warranty due to after-market suspension.

I am professionally working with the dealer to get a district rep to turn around the determination, but no news yet. I have reason to believe that it's actually illegal for them to do this. Is this a correct assumption?

I am more disappointed than I am pissed. I take pristine care of my car and they had no reason to ever assume abuse. Maybe the rep who had to approve, or rather deny, the warranty claim at Mazda NA just had a bad day. Let me tell you, if his goal was to make someone else's day bad, he managed to do so with flying colors.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Re: Warranty Voided

As I understand it they are required to prove an aftermarket part caused any damage in question before they can deny work under warranty, but I'm unfamiliar with a warranty being totally voided. I tend to think you're right, but I can't be sure. Is did they cite a particular part of the warranty information to justify this?

·
Registered
13,729 Posts

They need to be able to prove that whatever after market parts you have on your car are directly related to whatever issue you brought the car in for. They can't void an entire warranty just like that.

For example, let's say you have an after market grille on your car - they can't void your entire warranty if something was wrong with your exhaust.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

[quote author=FemGearHead link=topic=135527.msg2918012#msg2918012 date=1233952174]
They need to be able to prove that whatever after market parts you have on your car are directly related to whatever issue you brought the car in for. They can't void an entire warranty just like that.
[/quote]

But they did. They didn't just deny the claim, the voided the entire warranty... complete with a reference number. I called another dealer and they looked my VIN up. It shows that the car has no warranty. Like I said, I'm working it... but its worth it to warn everyone that this can actually happen (even if it doesn't hold up).

·
Registered
1,334 Posts

Looks like Mazda Corp did the voiding. I am surprised you were voided for some minor things. Usually, it'd be for turbo replacement or something major. I'll take a guess that they are informing dealerships to contact Corp if the tech notices any aftermarket stuff.

I am going to play the devil's advocate here. If someone came into my shop and complained of noises from the left side and it ended up being the BC coils, I wouldn't want to pay my tech for diagnosing/fixing a problem they had no hand in. Although I wouldn't go as far as voiding the entire warranty, I would be upfront to the customer that I would want them to pay for shop time if it was in fact the shock.

*flame suit on* :lol:

·
Registered
452 Posts

I can understand that they might not want to warranty any suspension work since you have replaced MAJOR components with NON Mazda parts. You have disassembled the suspension far enough to change the struts and rear shocks. Did you replace the Sway Bars? If so then you have unbolted the front crossmember from the chassis. Camber links in the rear? I know how much of the suspension has to come apart to change them. I sure would not have gone to Mazda and complained about vibrations/noises etc. expecting them to cover it under warranty.

That said, I don't know how they could cancel the entire warranty, especially the drive train. You need to understand that YOU MODIFIED your car and they sure don't have to fix things they did not build. But putting an aftermarket Stereo in your car should not cancel your driveline warranty nor should putting in different shocks, springs and sway bars.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts

Your warranty is not void in the eyes of the law, since "void" means to treat it as if it never existed. It still exists but it will take time, effort, and/or money to get to get the law to look at it. You'll have to make the call if you have a powertrain claim whether or not to pursue it.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I am in complete agreement that they should not have to cover certain things they feel the suspension may have caused. I was open and honest with them about the suspension up front and pointed out that if they felt the suspension caused these problems to contact me so we could work to a solution. We could debate all day whether or not my b-pillar creak or popping is or was caused by my suspension replacement... What a responsible dealer should have done is address their concerns with me first. I would have been entirely willing to accept they would not fix the pop or creak and I would have then gone about fixing it myself. I went in for some work that was also completely unrelated and instead came out with no warranty at all.

I really hope that I can get my powertrain back... If a year down the line I have a problem with the powertrain, I think it is completely reasonable to think they should be responsible for the repairs.

·
Registered
146 Posts

Wow this is complete BS....

Next they going to start voiding warrantee's for changing the floor mats.

·
Registered
6,393 Posts

Yea...and don't swap out your shift knob either rofl....this is so fucked up

·
Registered
841 Posts

so your telling us you have 0 power mods? i find that odd that they would void the powertrain warranty over suspension only.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts

They really cannot just dictate a VOID like this. They can flag your VIN, but they have to provide you thorough explanation, IN WRITING, as to their reasoning when denying a warranty claim. This is how the law works. If you lower your car, they have the right to deny free service to related components obviously, but would have a very hard time explaining to me why a faulty transmission would not be covered. The angle of the driveline is not altered with spring adjustments.

·
Registered
146 Posts

What dealer is this so other members can boycott them.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts

If you are going to pursue this through the legal system and I hope you do...probably not a good idea to declare the dealership publicly. It's good that you were honest and upfront but it's really asinine of them to void powertrain.

·
Registered
368 Posts

I'll say the same thing I posted in another warranty thread, FIGHT THIS. It's just not right that dealers are doing this having no proof of failure due to the aftermarket parts in place...

·
Registered
146 Posts

[quote author=Saitech link=topic=135527.msg2918539#msg2918539 date=1233967110]
If you are going to pursue this through the legal system and I hope you do...probably not a good idea to declare the dealership publicly. It's good that you were honest and upfront but it's really asinine of them to void powertrain.
[/quote]

Your probably right. But somebody should start a thread about which dealers are cool about mods and which have given people problems. It does seem like some are alot worse than others.

...edit..

Nevermind just did

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

I just noticed another warranty being voided thread!!! How frustrating!

It's clear to me that they are not wanting to cover these Mazdaspeeds anymore and they are doing everything to keep from spending money on them. As of now, I still havent heard back from the dealer yet.

At this point in time, I think it is safe to say that: Everyone on this board should be aware that Mazda can and clearly does deny claims due to anything aftermarket.

Please be cautious when taking your vehicle in for service.

I will keep you all apprised of any updates as they make their way to me.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts

Hey on your BC's check to make sure your endlink isnt being hit by the brake line holder, mine made a popping noise when at full lock from it. I just trimmed down some of the material on the brake line thing and its all good now. Havent heard a peep since.

·
Registered
388 Posts

+2

Had that same noise and a slight "re-aligning" of the ABS bracket fixed it.

BTW I put BC on my car because the stock shocks were blown; didn't want to screw with the dealership. I might have done something drastic had this warranty stuff happened to me.

Maybe we should start some sort of legal fund for these unfortunate few?

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.