Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

· Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Re: In Final Steps! (Fixing Steering Wheel) *huge mod /w new pics*(+mini game:p)

Im trying to get off that small mazda badge but doing it my way im just scratching and making marks all over the steernig wheel instead!

help!!!

... k i just fucked it up its so ugly now ... i have to get the mini badge on the steering wheel off in 1 piece or ill have huge problems i lifted one side but its all ugly and scratched and i think cracked a lil :(

okay so i fucked up my steering wheel its so ugly and i dont know what to do i really need to get this cleaned up, cover it ANYTHING i need ideas cuz mine clearly dont work...

· Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: help me before i destroy my steering wheel even more

[quote author=Alec Trevelyan link=topic=136143.msg2933035#msg2933035 date=1234488146]
take off the rest, then prime and paint the middle part of the wheel glossy black
[/quote]

It wont come off all im doing is jsut messing up the plastic, im sure i could get it off but ill finish messing up the plastic all around it and making it all ugly and scratched does this thing even come off?
has anyone actually taken it off??

· Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: help me before i destroy my steering wheel even more

[email protected]# wish i knew this b4 i was a idiot and attacked the car

for thoes who dont know what im talking about im talking about the mazda badge on the steering wheel...

· Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Messed up Steering Wheel (with pics) --plz help me-- :(

i know its really fucked... im a idiot.. i know i know.... besides buying a whole need wheel can anyone think of ANYTHING? like id rather do ANYTHING

· Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

[quote author=mario8402 link=topic=136143.msg2933432#msg2933432 date=1234496516]
you dont have to buy the whole wheel, just that middle piece which is the airbag
[/quote]

which is expensive as hell, i was hoping to beble to like wrap the whole middle in like leather or suede to cover it up, i just thikning all the lile groves will show through?

if i have to do that ill prlly just get this in red

· Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

[quote author=krazyk86cu link=topic=136143.msg2933478#msg2933478 date=1234497382]
say bye bye to stereo controls on the wheel if you go with the aftermarket wheel. It does look nice though

EDIT: wait, then you would have no airbag. forget that dude. if ur head smashes that wheel, you'd be fucked.
[/quote]

stero controles dont work anyways since i have a deck in my car n programming that was gunna be a pain in the A**, id prolly just upgrade my belts n get harness's

· Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

[quote author=Galvatron link=topic=136143.msg2933539#msg2933539 date=1234498904]
Epic fail.
[/quote]

gee thanks...

I know i went big thikning this will be so kool if i get it and ... ya clearly didnt happen

beside a new wheel anything i can fabricate or something else i can do? ...

· Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·

okay so looks like a solution.

I'm defiantly gonna take my time with this n work, since the mazda badge is cracked should i just disconnect the batt (so the horn doesn't keep going off) and just finish ripping off the badge and just cover it all up with the epoxy?

**also since my sound control's don't work and im alrdy patching up my fuck up think i could take out the buttons n just use the epoxy on the holes that will be there when i remove the buttons? **

· Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·

okay so if i did rip out the badge im sure id scatch up the other side and fuck it up just as bad but i guess since im fixing one side ill be doing it to both n e ways to make it look even, also the badge is pretty much junk n eways,

mby i can rip it off well enought that i can save the badge and actually re use it?!

even when buttons pushed in they still stick out a lil so its not flush, if that's the case id just leave it

I guess i just need a guide the remove the airbag, anyone doenst happen to have one do they? :)

i prolly wont do this till i have my whole week off in another week ( you know take my time n not make this a total fuck up )

· Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·

[quote author=ForestGrump link=topic=136143.msg2933790#msg2933790 date=1234506869]
Search for a factory manual/service manual. They are floating out there somewhere...

Just remember. If union guys put it together, you can take it apart! (and hopefully put it back together with minimal spare parts)
[/quote]

lolmao ahh that line is cracking me up :lmao:

· Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·

[quote author=TEKWATCH link=topic=136143.msg2933997#msg2933997 date=1234529410]
This all could of been avoided if you would have done some research and asked first if it could be removed easily.

[/quote]

I know :(

I feel like a moron as soon as i started i was like fuck this isn't gonna work is it... but i kept going for some reason :S

I just gotta patch it up n count my losses

Pics to come maby ill make it into a how to "how to fix your major fuck up"

-edit-
o yeah... any suggestions on how to finish removing the mazda logo? lol if i can save it the better but it will have to come out since its cracked and chipped. I'm even sure whats holding it in i think its like melted into the plastic :shock: didn't feel like glue.

I was gonna try some goo gone in a needle:
1- so it doesn't spill everywhere
2- to get under the badge without prying it up anymore

· Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·

[quote author=ForestGrump link=topic=136143.msg2935795#msg2935795 date=1234579398]
Now i see why just scratching/pulling at the emblem wouldn't work.
[/quote]

no no do it. its fun :D

.... (this sucks so much)

· Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·

ya i used bondo, its not that much, i just sandedit all down and applied a lil more... so far so good? why?

· Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·

[quote author=MZR23MZ3 link=topic=136143.msg2935993#msg2935993 date=1234585936]
bondo likes to chip and crack, especially through temp changes if applied more than 1/4 inch
[/quote]

even if its sanded down so theres very little....
temps not changing ( while im doing it ) ( bondoed/sanded/siting overnight in a climate controlled area)

i just put another glob of it on and will be sanding it down  just so even it out  cover some patches and what not.

any long term reason not to use bondo?

(if i can get this nice looking and get that batman M in there i must say its gunna look so sexy)
(a nice black wheel with a chrome dark red painted batmanized M) ;)

· Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·

[quote author=MZR23MZ3 link=topic=136143.msg2936013#msg2936013 date=1234587025]
might want to spread a thin coat to cover the pattern in the plastic. so it doesent look so obvious
[/quote]

yup was alrdy thinking about that just putting enought on the cove the grooves n re paint the whole thing

· Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·

[quote author=MZR23MZ3 link=topic=136143.msg2936214#msg2936214 date=1234595238]
throw some pics up when your done might look cool, only person with a shaved/ debadged steering wheel
[/quote]

lol i might even turn it into a how 2 :lol:

· Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·

[quote author=MZR23MZ3 link=topic=136143.msg2936294#msg2936294 date=1234602355]
so how are you gonna use your horn without breaking this? :eek:hsnap:
[/quote]

i never slam my fist into my horn i just push so it shouldnt be that big of a deal i just push on the edge or the bottem, im trying to think of something i can spray over the bondo once im 100% done the bondoing to make it even stronger ant ideas?

more pics uploading now!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.