Mazda3 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright so i did a search and mostly what came up was rattling noises in the car...while driving....
my problem is slightly different...i noticed this for the first time this morning...i left my dorm room and was going to head over to my brothers...and i got in my 3 ...started it and everything was fine.....i was parked between two big trucks...and when i shifted down to reverse to back up...i noticed a rattling sound suddenly appeared...not the engine idling..but almost like valves clattering.....i noticed this when i put it in drive....but after i pulled off campus....quicker than that actually...the noise dissapeared...i pulled into a car wash...thinking maybe it was just extra sound coming from an echo...but when i pulled in the car wash i heard no noises...except for the engine idling...
so just to sum it up
after my car has sat for awhile....and i put it into drive or reverse....i hear a rattling noise.....but it goes away after i drive for awhile...any ideas guys?
it would be a big help...hopefully its nothing big....just heard it for the first time today....its about 14700 miles....and its about time for an oil change?...i dont know please help

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
all cars make a strange noise in reverse... is it only in reverse?

only weird sound that comes from my car is when i fisrt get going there sort of a woosh woosh woosh sounds like pressure is being released in time w/ the rpms (guess its the AC) is it anything like that?

·
Registered
7,234 Posts
When you change your gears after being idle, your RPM's fluctuate for a second. That change in idle may be causing your heatshield on the catalytic converter to rattle if it's a little loose. However, if your heat shield is loose, you'd probably hear it at the same RPM while you're driving as well.

Hopefully, it's your heatshield, because that's a very quick and easy fix.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts